Oct 27, 2013, 2:57 PM EDT
The New York Rangers will have Henrik Lundqvist back for their home opener.
Rangers coach Alain Vigneault announced Lundqvist will get the start against the Montreal Canadiens on Monday night, the team’s first home game of the year. He missed their last two games with an undisclosed injury.
Lundqvist tells Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants he’s 100-percent and pain free and ready to play. Backup Cam Talbot started their previous two games losing 2-1 to the Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday and beating the Detroit Red Wings 3-2 in overtime on Saturday night.
This season, Lundqvist has had his ups and downs. Along with the injury he’s also struggled out of the gate with his save percentage below .900 and his goals-against average above 3.00 and winning just two out of seven games played. He does have a 2-0 shutout win against the Washington Capitals, however.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)