Oct 27, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
At this point, you may apply the basics of controversial checks to Brandon Dubinsky‘s hit on Saku Koivu: the offender defended his check while the opposition sermonized about getting dirty hits out of the game. At least the one detail that tends to change – the health of the “victim” – is positive, as Bruce Boudreau told reporters that Koivu seemed “OK” after the game.
Sure, Boudreau also admitted that Koivu was “knocked out,” but you take what you can get. (Also positive: the OC Register’s Eric Stephens reports that the 38-year-old didn’t need to undergo an X-Ray on his jaw, either.)
Here’s that hit, via NHL.com:
Koivu dodging serious injury is a big plus, especially since Anaheim’s been a little banged up lately; the Ducks also breathed a sigh of relief Sunday as Corey Perry returned to action after a scare.
“Some of the hits throughout the league are something that we need to try and stop and try and prevent as much as we can,” Fowler said.
Dubinsky, 27, defended the check and his reputation in general to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline.
“I thought my shoulder and elbow were tucked,” Dubinsky said. “I went out there to make a hit not hurt somebody. I’m not a dirty player.”
Dubinsky hasn’t been suspended by the NHL before, for what it’s worth.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 2
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 0
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 12
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 14
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)