Oct 26, 2013, 5:55 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers fell behind, then surged ahead, and then fell behind again, and this time for good.
The Oilers initially fell behind the Phoenix Coyotes 3-1 before the midway point of the second period, then fought back to actually take the lead early in the third.
But no sooner had they jumped ahead of the Coyotes in the third period, then they had fallen behind again, thanks in large to a trio of penalties.
The Oilers gave up a pair of power play goals against in the span of one minute and 43 seconds late in the third period and couldn’t mount one final comeback in a 5-4 loss.
And, even though it’s October, this was supposed to be a ‘must-win’ game for the Oilers, who currently have a record 3-8-1, which puts them last in the Pacific Division.
“Extremely frustrating and disappointing. Power-play goals on penalties you just shake your head at,” said Oilers captain Andrew Ference, who was in the penalty box for hooking when the Coyotes tied it at 4-4 in the third period.
Added head coach Dallas Eakins: “It was an interesting game to say the least. It’s getting disheartening to say I like most of our game and come up short.”
The Oilers also announced that winger Tyler Pitlick left the game with a left-knee injury and did not return.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)