Oct 26, 2013, 5:55 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers fell behind, then surged ahead, and then fell behind again, and this time for good.
The Oilers initially fell behind the Phoenix Coyotes 3-1 before the midway point of the second period, then fought back to actually take the lead early in the third.
But no sooner had they jumped ahead of the Coyotes in the third period, then they had fallen behind again, thanks in large to a trio of penalties.
The Oilers gave up a pair of power play goals against in the span of one minute and 43 seconds late in the third period and couldn’t mount one final comeback in a 5-4 loss.
And, even though it’s October, this was supposed to be a ‘must-win’ game for the Oilers, who currently have a record 3-8-1, which puts them last in the Pacific Division.
“Extremely frustrating and disappointing. Power-play goals on penalties you just shake your head at,” said Oilers captain Andrew Ference, who was in the penalty box for hooking when the Coyotes tied it at 4-4 in the third period.
Added head coach Dallas Eakins: “It was an interesting game to say the least. It’s getting disheartening to say I like most of our game and come up short.”
The Oilers also announced that winger Tyler Pitlick left the game with a left-knee injury and did not return.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 27
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 14
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 54
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)