Oct 26, 2013, 5:55 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers fell behind, then surged ahead, and then fell behind again, and this time for good.
The Oilers initially fell behind the Phoenix Coyotes 3-1 before the midway point of the second period, then fought back to actually take the lead early in the third.
But no sooner had they jumped ahead of the Coyotes in the third period, then they had fallen behind again, thanks in large to a trio of penalties.
The Oilers gave up a pair of power play goals against in the span of one minute and 43 seconds late in the third period and couldn’t mount one final comeback in a 5-4 loss.
And, even though it’s October, this was supposed to be a ‘must-win’ game for the Oilers, who currently have a record 3-8-1, which puts them last in the Pacific Division.
“Extremely frustrating and disappointing. Power-play goals on penalties you just shake your head at,” said Oilers captain Andrew Ference, who was in the penalty box for hooking when the Coyotes tied it at 4-4 in the third period.
Added head coach Dallas Eakins: “It was an interesting game to say the least. It’s getting disheartening to say I like most of our game and come up short.”
The Oilers also announced that winger Tyler Pitlick left the game with a left-knee injury and did not return.
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 2
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 72
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 63
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)