Oct 26, 2013, 5:55 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers fell behind, then surged ahead, and then fell behind again, and this time for good.
The Oilers initially fell behind the Phoenix Coyotes 3-1 before the midway point of the second period, then fought back to actually take the lead early in the third.
But no sooner had they jumped ahead of the Coyotes in the third period, then they had fallen behind again, thanks in large to a trio of penalties.
The Oilers gave up a pair of power play goals against in the span of one minute and 43 seconds late in the third period and couldn’t mount one final comeback in a 5-4 loss.
And, even though it’s October, this was supposed to be a ‘must-win’ game for the Oilers, who currently have a record 3-8-1, which puts them last in the Pacific Division.
“Extremely frustrating and disappointing. Power-play goals on penalties you just shake your head at,” said Oilers captain Andrew Ference, who was in the penalty box for hooking when the Coyotes tied it at 4-4 in the third period.
Added head coach Dallas Eakins: “It was an interesting game to say the least. It’s getting disheartening to say I like most of our game and come up short.”
The Oilers also announced that winger Tyler Pitlick left the game with a left-knee injury and did not return.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)