Oct 26, 2013, 10:29 PM EST
Vincent Lecavalier broke a four-game goal scoring slump on Saturday, and he did so in spectacular fashion.
Lecavalier, 33, scored the hat trick and the Flyers skated to a 5-2 victory over the New York Islanders, one of their Metropolitan Division foes.
Don’t look now, but those previously faltering Flyers have suddenly won their last two games.
Lecavalier, who signed a five-year, $22.5 million deal with Philadelphia in the summer, entered the game with just one goal on the season. He had been held without a point in three of his last four games.
There was nothing glamorous about his third goal of the evening.
He used his size and strength to battle Islanders’ defenseman Thomas Hickey off the puck at the Philadelphia blue line, carried it into the offensive zone and stayed with the play long enough to shovel the puck into a wide open net after a scramble in front of the New York net.
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 13
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)