Oct 26, 2013, 10:57 PM EST
Derick Brassard didn’t wait for the shootout to get a game-deciding breakaway.
In the final seconds of overtime, Brassard was sent in on a breakaway thanks to a diving pass from Benoit Pouliot and scored on Jimmy Howard to give the New York Rangers a 3-2 victory in the extra frame. And so ends the Rangers’ epic nine-game road trip to begin the season.
“We deserved it,” said Brassard afterward, according to the Rangers’ official Twitter account.
On Monday, the Rangers will do something they haven’t done this season and that’s play in front of their fans. They began the season with an arduous road trip that lasted nine games, spanning all four time zones in the U.S.
The Rangers’ first home game of the season goes against the Montreal Canadiens in an Original Six match-up.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)