Oct 26, 2013, 10:57 PM EDT
Derick Brassard didn’t wait for the shootout to get a game-deciding breakaway.
In the final seconds of overtime, Brassard was sent in on a breakaway thanks to a diving pass from Benoit Pouliot and scored on Jimmy Howard to give the New York Rangers a 3-2 victory in the extra frame. And so ends the Rangers’ epic nine-game road trip to begin the season.
“We deserved it,” said Brassard afterward, according to the Rangers’ official Twitter account.
On Monday, the Rangers will do something they haven’t done this season and that’s play in front of their fans. They began the season with an arduous road trip that lasted nine games, spanning all four time zones in the U.S.
The Rangers’ first home game of the season goes against the Montreal Canadiens in an Original Six match-up.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 25
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 41
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 95
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (96)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)