Oct 26, 2013, 10:57 PM EDT
Derick Brassard didn’t wait for the shootout to get a game-deciding breakaway.
In the final seconds of overtime, Brassard was sent in on a breakaway thanks to a diving pass from Benoit Pouliot and scored on Jimmy Howard to give the New York Rangers a 3-2 victory in the extra frame. And so ends the Rangers’ epic nine-game road trip to begin the season.
“We deserved it,” said Brassard afterward, according to the Rangers’ official Twitter account.
On Monday, the Rangers will do something they haven’t done this season and that’s play in front of their fans. They began the season with an arduous road trip that lasted nine games, spanning all four time zones in the U.S.
The Rangers’ first home game of the season goes against the Montreal Canadiens in an Original Six match-up.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)