Oct 26, 2013, 10:57 PM EDT
Derick Brassard didn’t wait for the shootout to get a game-deciding breakaway.
In the final seconds of overtime, Brassard was sent in on a breakaway thanks to a diving pass from Benoit Pouliot and scored on Jimmy Howard to give the New York Rangers a 3-2 victory in the extra frame. And so ends the Rangers’ epic nine-game road trip to begin the season.
“We deserved it,” said Brassard afterward, according to the Rangers’ official Twitter account.
On Monday, the Rangers will do something they haven’t done this season and that’s play in front of their fans. They began the season with an arduous road trip that lasted nine games, spanning all four time zones in the U.S.
The Rangers’ first home game of the season goes against the Montreal Canadiens in an Original Six match-up.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 28
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 26
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 22
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 59
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22