Oct 26, 2013, 10:57 PM EDT
Derick Brassard didn’t wait for the shootout to get a game-deciding breakaway.
In the final seconds of overtime, Brassard was sent in on a breakaway thanks to a diving pass from Benoit Pouliot and scored on Jimmy Howard to give the New York Rangers a 3-2 victory in the extra frame. And so ends the Rangers’ epic nine-game road trip to begin the season.
“We deserved it,” said Brassard afterward, according to the Rangers’ official Twitter account.
On Monday, the Rangers will do something they haven’t done this season and that’s play in front of their fans. They began the season with an arduous road trip that lasted nine games, spanning all four time zones in the U.S.
The Rangers’ first home game of the season goes against the Montreal Canadiens in an Original Six match-up.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54