Oct 26, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
The Sabres won on Friday for just the second time in 12 games, but they also lost defenseman Mike Weber in the process.
Buffalo confirmed that Weber sustained a “long term” upper-body injury while blocking a shot last night. Although he is last in the NHL with a minus-12 rating, the 25-year-old blueliner also is tied for the team lead in blocked shots this season.
On a more positive note, forward Ville Leino could return tonight, according to the Buffalo News’ John Vogl. Leino’s tenure with the Sabres has been a disaster with him underperforming in 2011-12 and being limited to just nine games since then.
Even so, Leino’s return will be welcome on a team that desperately needs a boost offensively. As it is, Buffalo ranks 30th in the league when it comes to goals per game.
- Report: Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 0
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 20
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 29
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 25
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24