Oct 26, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
The Sabres won on Friday for just the second time in 12 games, but they also lost defenseman Mike Weber in the process.
Buffalo confirmed that Weber sustained a “long term” upper-body injury while blocking a shot last night. Although he is last in the NHL with a minus-12 rating, the 25-year-old blueliner also is tied for the team lead in blocked shots this season.
On a more positive note, forward Ville Leino could return tonight, according to the Buffalo News’ John Vogl. Leino’s tenure with the Sabres has been a disaster with him underperforming in 2011-12 and being limited to just nine games since then.
Even so, Leino’s return will be welcome on a team that desperately needs a boost offensively. As it is, Buffalo ranks 30th in the league when it comes to goals per game.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 12
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)