Oct 26, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
The Sabres won on Friday for just the second time in 12 games, but they also lost defenseman Mike Weber in the process.
Buffalo confirmed that Weber sustained a “long term” upper-body injury while blocking a shot last night. Although he is last in the NHL with a minus-12 rating, the 25-year-old blueliner also is tied for the team lead in blocked shots this season.
On a more positive note, forward Ville Leino could return tonight, according to the Buffalo News’ John Vogl. Leino’s tenure with the Sabres has been a disaster with him underperforming in 2011-12 and being limited to just nine games since then.
Even so, Leino’s return will be welcome on a team that desperately needs a boost offensively. As it is, Buffalo ranks 30th in the league when it comes to goals per game.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)