Oct 26, 2013, 11:57 AM EST
The Sabres won on Friday for just the second time in 12 games, but they also lost defenseman Mike Weber in the process.
Buffalo confirmed that Weber sustained a “long term” upper-body injury while blocking a shot last night. Although he is last in the NHL with a minus-12 rating, the 25-year-old blueliner also is tied for the team lead in blocked shots this season.
On a more positive note, forward Ville Leino could return tonight, according to the Buffalo News’ John Vogl. Leino’s tenure with the Sabres has been a disaster with him underperforming in 2011-12 and being limited to just nine games since then.
Even so, Leino’s return will be welcome on a team that desperately needs a boost offensively. As it is, Buffalo ranks 30th in the league when it comes to goals per game.
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 0
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 19
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 27
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 9
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 35
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)