Oct 26, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
The Sabres won on Friday for just the second time in 12 games, but they also lost defenseman Mike Weber in the process.
Buffalo confirmed that Weber sustained a “long term” upper-body injury while blocking a shot last night. Although he is last in the NHL with a minus-12 rating, the 25-year-old blueliner also is tied for the team lead in blocked shots this season.
On a more positive note, forward Ville Leino could return tonight, according to the Buffalo News’ John Vogl. Leino’s tenure with the Sabres has been a disaster with him underperforming in 2011-12 and being limited to just nine games since then.
Even so, Leino’s return will be welcome on a team that desperately needs a boost offensively. As it is, Buffalo ranks 30th in the league when it comes to goals per game.
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 9
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 38
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 17
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 7
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (46)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)