Oct 26, 2013, 7:23 PM EDT
One of hockey’s most recognizable and respected figures has weighed in on the state of the game, amid a rash of controversial hits and injuries to begin the 2013-14 regular season.
Recently, San Jose Sharks associate coach Larry Robinson spoke candidly about what he believes to be a “lack of respect” at the NHL level today.
His comments are similar to ones made by Sharks veteran defenseman Dan Boyle, who earlier this month had to be taken off the ice on a stretcher after getting hit from behind by St. Louis Blues forward Maxim Lapierre.
Of course, there have been other incidents since then. Boston Bruins forward Loui Eriksson has been diagnosed with a concussion after he took a hit to the head (it was also late) from Buffalo Sabres’ forward John Scott earlier this week.
“I wouldn’t be in it as long as I have if I didn’t enjoy the game and that’s the part I like the most,” Robinson told the San Jose Mercury News.
“If there was anything that would turn me away from the game it’s the way it’s being played and how the league is being handled now.”
“How many concussions have we had in the last two, three or four few weeks, the lack of respect the players are having for each other.
“You question where our game is going sometimes.”
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)