Oct 26, 2013, 7:23 PM EDT
One of hockey’s most recognizable and respected figures has weighed in on the state of the game, amid a rash of controversial hits and injuries to begin the 2013-14 regular season.
Recently, San Jose Sharks associate coach Larry Robinson spoke candidly about what he believes to be a “lack of respect” at the NHL level today.
His comments are similar to ones made by Sharks veteran defenseman Dan Boyle, who earlier this month had to be taken off the ice on a stretcher after getting hit from behind by St. Louis Blues forward Maxim Lapierre.
Of course, there have been other incidents since then. Boston Bruins forward Loui Eriksson has been diagnosed with a concussion after he took a hit to the head (it was also late) from Buffalo Sabres’ forward John Scott earlier this week.
“I wouldn’t be in it as long as I have if I didn’t enjoy the game and that’s the part I like the most,” Robinson told the San Jose Mercury News.
“If there was anything that would turn me away from the game it’s the way it’s being played and how the league is being handled now.”
“How many concussions have we had in the last two, three or four few weeks, the lack of respect the players are having for each other.
“You question where our game is going sometimes.”
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)