Oct 26, 2013, 7:23 PM EDT
One of hockey’s most recognizable and respected figures has weighed in on the state of the game, amid a rash of controversial hits and injuries to begin the 2013-14 regular season.
Recently, San Jose Sharks associate coach Larry Robinson spoke candidly about what he believes to be a “lack of respect” at the NHL level today.
His comments are similar to ones made by Sharks veteran defenseman Dan Boyle, who earlier this month had to be taken off the ice on a stretcher after getting hit from behind by St. Louis Blues forward Maxim Lapierre.
Of course, there have been other incidents since then. Boston Bruins forward Loui Eriksson has been diagnosed with a concussion after he took a hit to the head (it was also late) from Buffalo Sabres’ forward John Scott earlier this week.
“I wouldn’t be in it as long as I have if I didn’t enjoy the game and that’s the part I like the most,” Robinson told the San Jose Mercury News.
“If there was anything that would turn me away from the game it’s the way it’s being played and how the league is being handled now.”
“How many concussions have we had in the last two, three or four few weeks, the lack of respect the players are having for each other.
“You question where our game is going sometimes.”
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 65
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (65)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)