Oct 26, 2013, 7:23 PM EDT
One of hockey’s most recognizable and respected figures has weighed in on the state of the game, amid a rash of controversial hits and injuries to begin the 2013-14 regular season.
Recently, San Jose Sharks associate coach Larry Robinson spoke candidly about what he believes to be a “lack of respect” at the NHL level today.
His comments are similar to ones made by Sharks veteran defenseman Dan Boyle, who earlier this month had to be taken off the ice on a stretcher after getting hit from behind by St. Louis Blues forward Maxim Lapierre.
Of course, there have been other incidents since then. Boston Bruins forward Loui Eriksson has been diagnosed with a concussion after he took a hit to the head (it was also late) from Buffalo Sabres’ forward John Scott earlier this week.
“I wouldn’t be in it as long as I have if I didn’t enjoy the game and that’s the part I like the most,” Robinson told the San Jose Mercury News.
“If there was anything that would turn me away from the game it’s the way it’s being played and how the league is being handled now.”
“How many concussions have we had in the last two, three or four few weeks, the lack of respect the players are having for each other.
“You question where our game is going sometimes.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 8
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)