Oct 26, 2013, 6:34 PM EST
Rick DiPietro once signed a 15-year, $67.5 million contract with the New York Islanders. That deal, signed in the wake of the second lockout, began in the 2006-07 season.
On Saturday, it was reported that the American goaltender has now signed a professional tryout with the Charlotte Checkers, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Carolina Hurricanes.
As per Chip Alexander of the News & Observer, Dipietro will join the Checkers tonight.
“It’s a safety net and could give us more depth. At this point it’s a PTO. We’ll see what kind of shape he’s in, how he plays,” Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford told the News & Observer.
Dipietro, formerly a first overall pick in the 2000 NHL Draft, played only three games for the Islanders last season.
He was dispatched to Bridgeport in the AHL, but his numbers down there were less than impressive. He posted a 9-9-0-1 record, with an .893 save percentage and 2.93 goals-against average.
The Islanders announced in July that they had used one of their compliance buyouts on DiPietro.
The Hurricanes find themselves in a tough spot with regards to their goaltending situation.
Dec 8, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Los Angeles has been great during his recovery process.
Dec 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
Mason might not get that much, but he’s certainly in line for a big raise.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
His Boston Bruins will play there on Tuesday.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:59 PM EST
Meanwhile it’s Niemi vs Harding in Minnesota.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:11 PM EST
“It was just bad in here.”
Dec 8, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
Adding to what was already a rough night for Boston and Pittsburgh.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
Meanwhile the Flyers will play in Ottawa on Monday.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:44 AM EST
They’re 14 points out of a playoff spot.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
They’re playing without Tyler Bozak and Dave Bolland.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
He would have preferred they talked about the rookie goalie that just got his first shutout.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:01 AM EST
Is the end coming for Jack Capuano?
Dec 8, 2013, 1:28 AM EST
This chapter in the Battle of Alberta goes to Calgary.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:05 AM EST
Three straight losses to Pacific Division giants.
Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 AM EST
Toronto outshot yet again.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:40 PM EST
Reported blow to the head.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:09 PM EST
Another dirty incident.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Happened on first shift.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:28 PM EST
‘I made a mistake’
Dec 7, 2013, 10:08 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
Has a history with concussions.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 8
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 84
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 75
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 66
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 46
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 171
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (171)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (84)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (75)