Oct 26, 2013, 6:34 PM EDT
Rick DiPietro once signed a 15-year, $67.5 million contract with the New York Islanders. That deal, signed in the wake of the second lockout, began in the 2006-07 season.
On Saturday, it was reported that the American goaltender has now signed a professional tryout with the Charlotte Checkers, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Carolina Hurricanes.
As per Chip Alexander of the News & Observer, Dipietro will join the Checkers tonight.
“It’s a safety net and could give us more depth. At this point it’s a PTO. We’ll see what kind of shape he’s in, how he plays,” Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford told the News & Observer.
Dipietro, formerly a first overall pick in the 2000 NHL Draft, played only three games for the Islanders last season.
He was dispatched to Bridgeport in the AHL, but his numbers down there were less than impressive. He posted a 9-9-0-1 record, with an .893 save percentage and 2.93 goals-against average.
The Islanders announced in July that they had used one of their compliance buyouts on DiPietro.
The Hurricanes find themselves in a tough spot with regards to their goaltending situation.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 0
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 10
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 87
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)