Oct 26, 2013, 6:34 PM EST
Rick DiPietro once signed a 15-year, $67.5 million contract with the New York Islanders. That deal, signed in the wake of the second lockout, began in the 2006-07 season.
On Saturday, it was reported that the American goaltender has now signed a professional tryout with the Charlotte Checkers, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Carolina Hurricanes.
As per Chip Alexander of the News & Observer, Dipietro will join the Checkers tonight.
“It’s a safety net and could give us more depth. At this point it’s a PTO. We’ll see what kind of shape he’s in, how he plays,” Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford told the News & Observer.
Dipietro, formerly a first overall pick in the 2000 NHL Draft, played only three games for the Islanders last season.
He was dispatched to Bridgeport in the AHL, but his numbers down there were less than impressive. He posted a 9-9-0-1 record, with an .893 save percentage and 2.93 goals-against average.
The Islanders announced in July that they had used one of their compliance buyouts on DiPietro.
The Hurricanes find themselves in a tough spot with regards to their goaltending situation.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 32
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)