Oct 26, 2013, 10:06 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins have experienced this before, although what transpired Saturday night against the New Jersey Devils doesn’t even compare to last June.
With a one-goal lead and less than two minutes remaining in the third period, the Bruins gave up two power play goals against to the Devils within a span of 23 seconds to lose 4-3.
The Bruins had actually jumped out to a 3-1 lead after the first period, and looked like they could go into cruise control against the struggling Devils, who recorded just their second victory of the season.
Squandering this latest one-goal lead in the waning minutes was still stunning, but nowhere close to what happened in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final when the Bruins faced off against the Chicago Blackhawks.
Holding a one-goal lead and poised to send the series to a decisive seventh game, the Bruins surrendered two goals in 17 seconds and the Blackhawks, as a result of their improbable turn of fortune, hoisted the Stanley Cup.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 42
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (42)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)