Oct 26, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils forward Damien Brunner thinks his team played well enough to beat the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday, but the fact is they lost in a shootout and moral victories look a bit hollow at 1-5-4.
At this point, the main thing the Devils have going for them is the fact that the Metropolitan Division hasn’t exactly lived up to expectations. One win and four consolation points is good enough for sixth place and keeps them just four points shy of the playoff spot. So they aren’t in too deep a hole yet, but they still need to turn things around quickly.
The only problem is they will face the 7-2-0 Boston Bruins tonight.
“These are gut-check type games,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer told the Bergen Record. “For me, these are statement-type games that we have an opportunity to come in here and put our work boots and try and beat one of the best teams in the NHL. If we can do that, I think it could push us on to bigger and better things.”
This will also mark Jaromir Jagr‘s first game against the Bruins since he participated in their run to the Stanley Cup Final. Jagr anticipated that cap issues would keep the Bruins from re-signing him and he enjoyed his time there.
Naturally, he also has plenty of experience playing against former teams, given that the Devils are his seventh NHL squad.
“I have to show everybody how to do it,” he joked. “I was gifted. I can’t help it. It’s my job.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 5
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 25
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)