Oct 26, 2013, 4:11 PM EST
New Jersey Devils forward Damien Brunner thinks his team played well enough to beat the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday, but the fact is they lost in a shootout and moral victories look a bit hollow at 1-5-4.
At this point, the main thing the Devils have going for them is the fact that the Metropolitan Division hasn’t exactly lived up to expectations. One win and four consolation points is good enough for sixth place and keeps them just four points shy of the playoff spot. So they aren’t in too deep a hole yet, but they still need to turn things around quickly.
The only problem is they will face the 7-2-0 Boston Bruins tonight.
“These are gut-check type games,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer told the Bergen Record. “For me, these are statement-type games that we have an opportunity to come in here and put our work boots and try and beat one of the best teams in the NHL. If we can do that, I think it could push us on to bigger and better things.”
This will also mark Jaromir Jagr‘s first game against the Bruins since he participated in their run to the Stanley Cup Final. Jagr anticipated that cap issues would keep the Bruins from re-signing him and he enjoyed his time there.
Naturally, he also has plenty of experience playing against former teams, given that the Devils are his seventh NHL squad.
“I have to show everybody how to do it,” he joked. “I was gifted. I can’t help it. It’s my job.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)