Oct 26, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
New Jersey Devils forward Damien Brunner thinks his team played well enough to beat the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday, but the fact is they lost in a shootout and moral victories look a bit hollow at 1-5-4.
At this point, the main thing the Devils have going for them is the fact that the Metropolitan Division hasn’t exactly lived up to expectations. One win and four consolation points is good enough for sixth place and keeps them just four points shy of the playoff spot. So they aren’t in too deep a hole yet, but they still need to turn things around quickly.
The only problem is they will face the 7-2-0 Boston Bruins tonight.
“These are gut-check type games,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer told the Bergen Record. “For me, these are statement-type games that we have an opportunity to come in here and put our work boots and try and beat one of the best teams in the NHL. If we can do that, I think it could push us on to bigger and better things.”
This will also mark Jaromir Jagr‘s first game against the Bruins since he participated in their run to the Stanley Cup Final. Jagr anticipated that cap issues would keep the Bruins from re-signing him and he enjoyed his time there.
Naturally, he also has plenty of experience playing against former teams, given that the Devils are his seventh NHL squad.
“I have to show everybody how to do it,” he joked. “I was gifted. I can’t help it. It’s my job.”
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)