Boyle thinks Lapierre hit showed lack of respect, but he might have done the same to certain players

Oct 26, 2013, 3:36 PM EDT

Maxim Lapierre #40 of the St. Louis Blues checks Dan Boyle #22 of the San Jose Sharks into the boards at the Scottrade Center on October 15, 2013 in St. Louis, Missouri. Boyle was injured on the play and had to leave the ice on a stretcher.
(October 14, 2013 - Source: Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

San Jose Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle admitted recently that he didn’t take St. Louis Blues forward Maxim Lapierre‘s call when he attempted to apologize for hitting Boyle from behind.

“I’ll leave it at that for now,” Boyle, who has missed four straight games, said earlier this week.

Fast forward to today and Boyle has decided that it’s time to share his thoughts about Lapierre with the public.

“I don’t think he thought he was going to put me in the hospital with the hit, so I agree with him that wasn’t his intention,” Boyle told the San Jose Mercury News. “At the same time, we’re told since we were five years old not to hit a guy when you see numbers and it’s pretty clear he saw my numbers and he decided to hit anyway.

“That’s just lack of respect is what I think.”

Interestingly enough, Boyle might have done the same thing, depending on who his opponent was. He admitted that there were a “probably a handful” of players that he would have hit if the roles were reversed.

Lapierre was suspended for five games for his actions. Meanwhile, Boyle might return Sunday, according to CSN Bay Area.

1. joey4id - Oct 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Well! So much for the classy Mr. Boyle. What an idiotic remark. He should get 20 games for a premeditated hit if he hits a player under the same circumstances.

• drewsylvania - Oct 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Are you for real?

• joey4id - Oct 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Is he for real? what a stupid comment.

• ethanmacleod1685 - Oct 26, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Joey4id, you are consistently the biggest idiot on the PHT comment sections. Everyone hates you!

• joey4id - Oct 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM

And?

• thailer35 - Oct 26, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Don’t say that! He predicted someone would say that somewhere previously in a comment section here and now he’s going to have to go back and find it and copy and paste it with a date stamp to prove how awesome he is!! It’s the GD lockout all over again!!

• joey4id - Oct 26, 2013 at 4:23 PM

thailer, just what until the NHL cracks down on fighting to minimize concussions. There will be a flood of re posts.

• thailer35 - Oct 26, 2013 at 4:32 PM

For all of you asking why joey loves ruining the internet, I’ll remind you of the words of Alfred Pennyworth in The Dark Knight. “Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren’t looking for anything logical, like money. They can’t be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.”

My only hesitation in using that quote is the fact that the word men was used. Clearly we are dealing with a boy here.

• joey4id - Oct 26, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Thailer, he’s one from the Godfather, “Why should I be afraid now? Strange men have come to kill me ever since I was twelve years old.”

• skr213 - Oct 26, 2013 at 7:08 PM

PHT without Joey4id is like professional wrestling without a bad guy. We need him here so we can release our internet outrage. :-)

• dan0te - Oct 26, 2013 at 4:11 PM

kill yourself

2. drewsylvania - Oct 26, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I bet every player has their own list like that. For instance, every Bruin recently wrote “Scott, John” on theirs.

• joey4id - Oct 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Have you not learned anything from the effects of a concussion?

• drewsylvania - Oct 26, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Have “I”? I’m talking about Bruins players. Sorry that’s hard to understand.

• drewsylvania - Oct 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Besides, if the league won’t prevent guys like Scott from being out there (and coaches like Rolston for ordering them), it’s up to the players to prevent such clowns from wrecking careers. Better to wreck the career of the career-wrecker.

• joey4id - Oct 26, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Idot! I’m talking about your first comment. You don’t call a shot and then drive a guy’s head into the boards. Moron.

• sabatimus - Oct 26, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Would you like a spade, or are you ok digging that hole with your hands?

• joey4id - Oct 26, 2013 at 4:08 PM

My hands? Don’t want to mess up my manicure. I’ll have one of my servants dig for me. Thanks.

• drewsylvania - Oct 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM

You’re leaping football fields with those jumps to conclusions.

• drewsylvania - Oct 26, 2013 at 4:11 PM

You’re rich *and* stupid? Somebody’s a drain on the economy.

3. sjsharks66 - Oct 26, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Every player has a few guys they do not respect. He didn’t say he would hurt them.

• joey4id - Oct 26, 2013 at 4:16 PM

“He admitted that there were a “probably a handful” of players that he would have hit if the roles were reversed.” I think it’s smart to imply that you would have hit someone who was in his position. If so, then the result is likely a player taken out on a stretcher with a concussion. Is that what we want to see happen?

4. joey4id - Oct 26, 2013 at 4:18 PM

You guys seriously approve of what he said.. Wow. Un f believable. Are you all thugs ?

• thailer35 - Oct 26, 2013 at 4:22 PM

You’re saying we all approve of what he said. That’s not necessarily the case. We just disagree with what you said. Totally different. You and Boyle can say two separate, stupid things. They are not mutually exclusive.

• joey4id - Oct 26, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Hahahahaha. So they are mutually inclusive then. Right?

5. 950003cups - Oct 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM

That’s what I’m talking about. Boyle just did, what we call in the streets, “He Manned Up”

Good job Dan!

• joey4id - Oct 26, 2013 at 5:26 PM

He manned up… How did he man up? He said, “that’s just lack of respect is what I think” then proceeded to say he’d do the same to a handful of players. That’s stooping to the level of Lapierre, and we all saw that good ol Max didn’t man up all. He turtled and pleaded his innocence behind the ref.

• joey4id - Oct 26, 2013 at 5:31 PM

In my family we don’t announce what we’re going to do. We wait for the opportune time and do it. Then we move on. Everybody knows where it came from. That’s our street code.

• hockeyflow33 - Oct 26, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Is that why your uncle always won the tickle fights the two of you had?

6. calden99 - Oct 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM

So that’s disrespect only if other players do it but it’s ok if you do it???

7. micasa81 - Oct 26, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Clicked on this post expecting to find a bunch of people’s comments. Instead found one person’s off-the-wall overreaction, defended to the bitter end, against the predictable onslaught of ridicule.

Anyway, weird thing for Boyle to say, though I always find honesty much more refreshing than clichéd sound bites.

8. skr213 - Oct 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Is this really that bad of a thing to say? There are some players in the league who need some karmic justice and if they put themselves in a vulnerable position, players (including Boyle) are going to inflict that justice. The reason this isn’t hypocrisy is that Boyle is a classy player who doesn’t lay dirty hits, so he’s not someone who deserves that kind of hit on him. If Lapierre or Scott, etc. said this, but complained about taking these hits, THAT would be hypocrisy.

9. thibbledorfpwent - Oct 26, 2013 at 7:45 PM

This is why this crazy hyper focus on preventing injury is so much PR bullpatacky, the players – from time to time, want to hurt each other – and gee, golly wiz ladies and gentlemen (And Joey, whatever the heck you are) – when you put grown men in an environment where they are not only allowed but encouraged to be both intentionally and unintentionally violent towards one another, sometimes they happen to get angry and want to hurt, maim, mangle, etc. is this acceptable in society at large? I happen to think it should be, but it is not. However, in a sport whose most basic origins are in some of the most bloodthirsty games imaginable, that violence is essential to the spirit/soul/heart – whatever you want to call it – of the game. Do you want to limit that violence for minors and amateurs who play the game? Again I don’t think you should, even if society says differently, but at a professional level? At this point to get this fair these guys have likely given up most other immediate facets to their future, and let’s face it, even if most of them won’t admit it to avoid offending their sponsors/spouses/children, we all know deep down that being a professional athlete for them is the culmination of a childhood and adult life sacrificed in the pursuit of a dream, it is and will be the greatest and most important thing 90% of them will do with their lives. If to succeed, or just compete at that, they want to sacrifice themselves the down years later in their life when they are older, saddled with family and irrelevant, who are we – who are not playing the game I remind you – to say otherwise. It’s a violent sport, men are naturally violent creatures, it’s in our natures, can we please just get over this and let them hurt each other and themselves if they want to?

10. thibbledorfpwent - Oct 26, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Naaaw, he always gave me some funny juice first, made me all woozy, so unfair! I could totally take him now though, I’m an expert tickler

11. Anoesis - Oct 26, 2013 at 9:34 PM

“…(W)e’re told since we were five years old not to hit a guy when you see numbers…” But Boyle says he’d do the same thing Lapierre did. Apparently that “lesson” means nothing to some players.

Guess I no longer have to feel bad for Boyle because he got hurt.

12. nicknyhc - Oct 26, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I bet when he was a little kid joey4id’s mom used to call the cops on little boys at school who said mean things to poor little Joey.

I’m sure a few restraining orders while filed on 3rd graders for not picking Joey for the kickball team at recess too.

While we’re quoting movies, how about Fight Club? “A generation of men raised by women.”

13. cardinal408 - Oct 27, 2013 at 2:08 AM

I’d like to see the actual quote. Everything else in the article is a direct quote from Boyle. That part has apparently been paraphrased in some way. Also, Joey, I don’t think he’s premeditating anything. Not that we know for sure since it’s not a direct quote, but from the language used in the article, Boyle’s statement is hypothetical and in the past tense. It’s kind of like watching the news, or a show on TV and saying “Yeah, in that situation I’d probably have done that too.” It doesn’t mean you’re going to go out and do the same thing the person did, it’s a hypothetical because you were not in that person’s situation, nor was Boyle in Lapierre’s situation with any of the other players on his “list.” Sports are not all hugs and giggles. These men all have people they can’t stand and would love to smash into a wall. Somehow I don’t think Boyle is going to go headhunting from now on because of it. Silly quote, yes. Preview of coming attractions, I’d bet no.

14. bleedingteal4life - Oct 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I think you are taking bottles words too literally. I’m assuming it’s more of a hypothetical statement. Sure there are players he’d like to do that too, everyone has there hit list. Yet he doesn’t slam people into the boards from behind…I’m sure the player he was referring most was in fact lapierre.

15. bleedingteal4life - Oct 27, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Bleh. Sorry I meant Boyle. Not bottle. iPhone FTL.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches