Oct 26, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
David Clarkson‘s tenure with the Toronto Maple Leafs hasn’t gotten off to the best of starts. After inking a seven-year, roughly $36.8 million deal over the summer, he missed the first 10 games of the regular season thanks to an automatic 10-game suspension for leaving the bench to fight Buffalo’s John Scott during a preseason game.
He was finally able to make his debut on Friday, but took a hooking penalty just 4:16 minutes into the contest against Columbus. The Blue Jackets capitalized on the opportunity en route to a 5-2 victory. Clarkson ended up with four shots on goal and a minus-one rating in 15:41 minutes of playing time.
He looked “rusty” to Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle, although that’s to be expected after missing nearly a month of play.
“He’s going to try, he’s going to work,” Carlyle said, according to the Canadian Press via the Maple Leafs’ site. “The other things as far as the stick-handling and the turnovers and stuff, I think you’ve got to give the guy some slack.”
Clarkson felt he was okay, although he obviously wasn’t satisfied with the result. How he performs over the coming weeks and months will likely be the subject of intense scrutiny in Toronto as his contract was a somewhat divisive one. The length of the deal in particular has been criticized, given that the physical forward will celebrate his 30th birthday in March. At the same time, his blend of grit and goal scoring prowess should prove to be an asset on a team that’s gotten off to a 7-4-0 start.
Clarkson will get a chance to immediately shake off this loss with a match against the Pittsburgh Penguins tonight.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)