Oct 26, 2013, 12:58 PM EST
Handzus was acquired from the San Jose Sharks in April and ended up playing a significant role in the Blackhawks’ Stanley Cup-winning playoff run. That encouraged them to ink him to a one-year, $1 million contract for the 2013-14 campaign.
The 36-year-old forward has three points in nine games this season while averaging 13:18 minutes per contest. Brad Mills, 30, will replace him on Saturday, according to the Chicago Tribune’s Chris Kuc.
Mills should get some playing time in penalty-killing situations, which has been a weakness of Chicago’s this season. Michael Frolik was the team’s leading forward when it came to killing penalties last season and he’s a member of the Winnipeg Jets now.
For Mills, this will be his first game with the Chicago Blackhawks and just his 32nd career NHL contest.
In addition to that, Quenneville will scratch Ben Smith tonight so that 22-year-old forward Jeremy Morin can make his season debut.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 43
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 11
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 15
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 36
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 57
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (57)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (43)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)