Oct 25, 2013, 12:33 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild have made an interesting move in the wake of Josh Harding’s injury.
Gustafsson, 21, was Minnesota’s sixth-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He’s posted a 2-0-0 record with a 1.99 GAA and .935 save percentage with Iowa this season, his first in the AHL after starring with Lulea in the Swedish Elite League last year.
Harding was hurt during Thursday’s 3-1 win over Carolina. Minnesota’s longtime No. 1 goalie, Niklas Backstrom, came on in relief and will likely be re-inserted into his starting position when the Wild take on the ‘Hawks in Chicago this Saturday.
As for Gustafsson, it’s unclear when he’ll get to make his NHL debut, if at all. But the mere fact he’s been recalled says something about the future of Minnesota’s goaltending — Kuemper, who has played very well at the AHL level, looked shaky in a 4-1 loss to Toronto on Oct. 15, allowing three goals on seven shots.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63