Oct 25, 2013, 12:33 PM EST
The Minnesota Wild have made an interesting move in the wake of Josh Harding’s injury.
Gustafsson, 21, was Minnesota’s sixth-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. He’s posted a 2-0-0 record with a 1.99 GAA and .935 save percentage with Iowa this season, his first in the AHL after starring with Lulea in the Swedish Elite League last year.
Harding was hurt during Thursday’s 3-1 win over Carolina. Minnesota’s longtime No. 1 goalie, Niklas Backstrom, came on in relief and will likely be re-inserted into his starting position when the Wild take on the ‘Hawks in Chicago this Saturday.
As for Gustafsson, it’s unclear when he’ll get to make his NHL debut, if at all. But the mere fact he’s been recalled says something about the future of Minnesota’s goaltending — Kuemper, who has played very well at the AHL level, looked shaky in a 4-1 loss to Toronto on Oct. 15, allowing three goals on seven shots.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)