Oct 25, 2013, 1:02 AM EDT
The drama in Boston’s 2-1 win over San Jose on Thursday wasn’t just David Krejci’s last second game-winning goal.
Chara wasn’t penalized on the play. Wingels left the contest and didn’t return.
Following the game, Sharks head coach Todd McLellan offered a measured response to the hit, noting that he didn’t have a good angle to see it, which made it difficult to judge.
“You know what, every time somebody is hit now we quickly run to the video and we analyze – was it legal, was it illegal? It’s a hard game, and it’s played by hard players that have to get involved physically night in and night out,” McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “They have to take some lumps, too. We have to give some lumps, we have to take some lumps.
“If it’s dirty, I think it should be severely dealt with. If it’s hard hockey, then so be it.”
Wingels, 25, is in his fourth season with the Sharks and enjoying a stellar campaign. He had two goals and six points in nine games heading into tonight’s action.
(Image courtesy CSN Bay Area’s Brodie Brazil)
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)