Oct 25, 2013, 1:02 AM EDT
The drama in Boston’s 2-1 win over San Jose on Thursday wasn’t just David Krejci’s last second game-winning goal.
Chara wasn’t penalized on the play. Wingels left the contest and didn’t return.
Following the game, Sharks head coach Todd McLellan offered a measured response to the hit, noting that he didn’t have a good angle to see it, which made it difficult to judge.
“You know what, every time somebody is hit now we quickly run to the video and we analyze – was it legal, was it illegal? It’s a hard game, and it’s played by hard players that have to get involved physically night in and night out,” McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “They have to take some lumps, too. We have to give some lumps, we have to take some lumps.
“If it’s dirty, I think it should be severely dealt with. If it’s hard hockey, then so be it.”
Wingels, 25, is in his fourth season with the Sharks and enjoying a stellar campaign. He had two goals and six points in nine games heading into tonight’s action.
(Image courtesy CSN Bay Area’s Brodie Brazil)
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 2
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)