Oct 25, 2013, 1:02 AM EDT
The drama in Boston’s 2-1 win over San Jose on Thursday wasn’t just David Krejci’s last second game-winning goal.
Chara wasn’t penalized on the play. Wingels left the contest and didn’t return.
Following the game, Sharks head coach Todd McLellan offered a measured response to the hit, noting that he didn’t have a good angle to see it, which made it difficult to judge.
“You know what, every time somebody is hit now we quickly run to the video and we analyze – was it legal, was it illegal? It’s a hard game, and it’s played by hard players that have to get involved physically night in and night out,” McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “They have to take some lumps, too. We have to give some lumps, we have to take some lumps.
“If it’s dirty, I think it should be severely dealt with. If it’s hard hockey, then so be it.”
Wingels, 25, is in his fourth season with the Sharks and enjoying a stellar campaign. He had two goals and six points in nine games heading into tonight’s action.
(Image courtesy CSN Bay Area’s Brodie Brazil)
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 1
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 11
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)