Oct 25, 2013, 1:02 AM EDT
The drama in Boston’s 2-1 win over San Jose on Thursday wasn’t just David Krejci’s last second game-winning goal.
Chara wasn’t penalized on the play. Wingels left the contest and didn’t return.
Following the game, Sharks head coach Todd McLellan offered a measured response to the hit, noting that he didn’t have a good angle to see it, which made it difficult to judge.
“You know what, every time somebody is hit now we quickly run to the video and we analyze – was it legal, was it illegal? It’s a hard game, and it’s played by hard players that have to get involved physically night in and night out,” McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “They have to take some lumps, too. We have to give some lumps, we have to take some lumps.
“If it’s dirty, I think it should be severely dealt with. If it’s hard hockey, then so be it.”
Wingels, 25, is in his fourth season with the Sharks and enjoying a stellar campaign. He had two goals and six points in nine games heading into tonight’s action.
(Image courtesy CSN Bay Area’s Brodie Brazil)
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 26
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 70
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (70)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)