Oct 25, 2013, 3:18 PM EST
Saturday: San Jose at Montreal (7 p.m. ET)
The Sharks lost in regulation Thursday, the first time they’ve done that this season. They’ve also scored just once in their last two games, inviting at least a hint of adversity into what’s been a mostly worry-free start to their schedule. Against Montreal, they’ll try to bump their mini slump against a goalie, Carey Price, who boasts an impressive .936 save percentage. The Habs have won five of their last seven.
Saturday: NY Rangers at Detroit (7 p.m. ET)
Both teams are coming off tough losses. The Rangers fell 2-1 to Philly on Thursday; the Wings, 6-1, to Ottawa on Wednesday. Of course, New York (2-6-0) is in far more dire straits than Detroit (6-4-1). Consider: the Rangers’ goal differential (-19) after just eight games is even worse than Buffalo’s (-18) after 11. Anytime you’re statistically worse than the Sabres at something, you know it’s not good.
Saturday: Pittsburgh at Toronto (7 p.m. ET)
Sidney Crosby in Toronto! Sidney Crosby in Toronto! Yeah, there might be a few reporters at his stall for this one. The Penguins won both their visits to the ACC last season, 5-4 in a shootout on Mar. 9 and 3-1 five days later on Mar. 14. This season, Crosby is quietly off to a very loud start (if that makes sense); the 26-year-old leads the NHL with 17 points in nine games, just shy of a two-points-per-game average. Ho-hum.
Saturday: Minnesota at Chicago (8 p.m. ET)
A good test for the resurgent Wild, winners of two straight after going winless (and unlucky) in three. Unfortunately for Minnesota, goalie Josh Harding (lower body) won’t be available for this one. The 29-year-old has been brilliant so far, registering a .953 save percentage and 1.00 goals-against average in nine appearances. Niklas Backstrom, on the other hand, hasn’t been nearly as solid (.867, 2.98), and apparently isn’t fully healthy either.
Sunday: Edmonton at Los Angeles (9 p.m. ET)
We couldn’t pick all Saturday games (meaning we’re totally snubbing St. Louis at Nashville, if you care to complain about PHT’s blatant big-market bias below…seriously, the Rangers?), so we’re going with this one. Why? Well, that’s a good question. Hmmm. OK, here’s something to consider: in Jonathan Quick‘s last 47 regular-season appearances (37 last season, 10 this one), his save percentage is a rather mediocre .903. Yes, he was excellent in the playoffs, but still, kind of interesting. Or not. Whatever. There aren’t any great NHL match-ups Sunday. Feel free to watch the World Series or football.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:11 AM EST
The check didn’t result in a penalty.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Plus the Olympics, legal matters and more.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:58 PM EST
More bad injury breaks for Boston.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:39 PM EST
“It’s getting old,” Brad Richards said.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:10 PM EST
Todd McLellan wasn’t happy on Sunday.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:53 PM EST
Good news/bad news night for Chicago.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
Is this a faux pas?
Dec 8, 2013, 8:16 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 7:24 PM EST
Punishment for Varlamov’s last start or reward for Jiggy’s win?
Dec 8, 2013, 7:13 PM EST
It resulted in a broken ankle.
Dec 8, 2013, 7:01 PM EST
He expects to bring “tons of energy.”
Dec 8, 2013, 6:50 PM EST
Claude Julien believes Brendan Shanahan faces a few tough calls.
Dec 8, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
Ryan Spooner and Matt Fraser are emergency recalls.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Dec 8, 2013, 5:32 PM EST
No back-to-back duty for Braden Holtby.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:16 PM EST
The team is unsure if he has a concussion.
Dec 8, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
He’s not even sure if he’s retiring, but even if he is, he doesn’t want the distraction.
Dec 8, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Los Angeles has been great during his recovery process.
Dec 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
Mason might not get that much, but he’s certainly in line for a big raise.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
His Boston Bruins will play there on Tuesday.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)