Oct 25, 2013, 10:46 AM EDT
Lost in the excitement of Colorado’s red-hot start is the status of its highest-paid player, Paul Stastny.
Stastny, 27, is in the final year of a five-year, $33 million deal with a $6.6 million average annual cap hit. He’s playing well — five points in nine games, 18:24 TOI per night — and has a big fan in head coach Patrick Roy, but hasn’t been approached about re-signing with the Avs, according to agent Matt Keator.
“Whether it’s in the back of my mind or not, it’s something you can’t really worry about,” Stastny told the Denver Post. “It’s out of your control. If you’re part of the solution, then you are. If you’re not, you’re not.
“I’m just having fun with this team right now and doing anything I can to help it win.”
The hangup with Stastny is Colorado’s outstanding depth at center, and the relative youth of said depth. Matt Duchene (23 years old), Ryan O’Reilly (22) and Nathan MacKinnon (18) all play in the middle and figure to be with the organization for a long time — Duchene’s signed through 2019, MacKinnon’s on an entry-level deal ’til 2016 while O’Reilly is a RFA at the end of this season.
Where Stastny fits in that picture remains to be seen, assuming he fits at all. There’s a good chance he could play as a top-two center in a variety of other cities, a tantalizing reason to hit the UFA market this summer.
For now, though, Roy is focused on the present and the “beautiful problem” his glut of centers presents.
“I’d rather deal with this than having no centers,” Roy explained. “Honestly, it hasn’t been a problem so far. Everybody is having their share of ice time. We’re very lucky. You look at all the teams at the top of the standings, they all have three very good centers and four good lines.
“When you build a team, you want to build it (up) the middle.”
May 25, 2015, 12:44 PM EDT
This won’t quell the Kevin Bieksa trade speculation.
May 25, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
“A bigger guy, playing a power forward role.”
May 25, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Featuring a whole lot of Dan Bylsma.
May 25, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
Have the Bolts learned their lesson?
May 25, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
He played just eight shifts in Sunday’s win.
May 25, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Wagner or Fleischman could draw in tonight.
May 25, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
May 25, 2015, 12:00 AM EDT
Two sides to the coin in a shutout.
May 24, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Bolts take a 3-2 series to Tampa Bay.
May 24, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
The Lightning are 7-0 when scoring the first goal in the playoffs.
May 24, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Degree of difficulty: high.
May 24, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Blocking shots can be a grind, too, after all.
May 24, 2015, 8:07 PM EDT
May 24, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
No clarification on what would qualify as “dramatic.”
May 24, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Who will grab a 3-2 series lead?
May 24, 2015, 5:58 PM EDT
Can Anaheim grind this series out?
May 24, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Things weren’t a “perfect fit” for the blue liner in Nashville.
May 24, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He coached Edmonton to a 17-25-9 record after Dallas Eakins was fired in December.
May 24, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
He’s gone nine games without a point.
May 24, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
He has not played since April 24.
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)