Oct 25, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
Scott, suspended indefinitely until his in-person hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, will miss three games — tonight vs. Florida, Saturday vs. Tampa Bay and Monday vs. Dallas — before his hearing on Oct. 31, according to the Toronto Star.
Barring an incredible turn of events, he’ll also miss that evening’s game against the Rangers as well.
(Yes, the Sabres will be in New York on the day of Scott’s hearing.)
Scott, 31, has no previous record of discipline with the league and won’t be treated as a repeat offender under CBA definitions. There is a chance, however, that his history — most notably in a preseason melee with the Maple Leafs in which he tried to fight Phil Kessel — could be taken into account when assessing punishment.
On Thursday, Scott tried to defend himself and his reputation.
“I don’t think I’m a dirty player,” he told Buffalo Hockey Beat. “I try to play within the code, within the rules. This is my first suspension. I don’t think I’m dirty. I don’t try to be a dirty player. I kind of feel really upset.
“I was sick to my stomach last night knowing what happened watching the video [of the Eriksson hit]. I just kind of regret the whole situation. I don’t want to be a dirty player.”
Eriksson, who suffered a concussion on the play, has returned to Boston and is out indefinitely.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)