Oct 25, 2013, 2:04 PM EST
Korpikoski, 27, missed Thursday night’s 7-4 loss to Los Angeles with an upper-body injury. The Finnish forward — who signed a four-year, $10 million extension in July — is an important role player for the ‘Yotes, having notched two points in 10 games this year while averaging over 15 minutes per game.
The 6-foot-1, 205 pound winger has shown some major physicality this season as well. He sits second among all Phoenix skaters with 33 hits, 11th most in the NHL and ninth among all forwards (just eight back of teammate Martin Hanzal, who sits second with 41 hits).
It remains to be seen how much time Korpikoski will miss. The Coyotes play Saturday against Edmonton, Tuesday against Los Angeles and Thursday against Nashville, so the amount of games lost to injury will depend if his IR stint begins today, or if he was placed on there retroactively.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 8
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 35
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)