Oct 25, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
Korpikoski, 27, missed Thursday night’s 7-4 loss to Los Angeles with an upper-body injury. The Finnish forward — who signed a four-year, $10 million extension in July — is an important role player for the ‘Yotes, having notched two points in 10 games this year while averaging over 15 minutes per game.
The 6-foot-1, 205 pound winger has shown some major physicality this season as well. He sits second among all Phoenix skaters with 33 hits, 11th most in the NHL and ninth among all forwards (just eight back of teammate Martin Hanzal, who sits second with 41 hits).
It remains to be seen how much time Korpikoski will miss. The Coyotes play Saturday against Edmonton, Tuesday against Los Angeles and Thursday against Nashville, so the amount of games lost to injury will depend if his IR stint begins today, or if he was placed on there retroactively.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 11
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 12
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5