Oct 25, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
Pouliot was given a five-minute boarding major and game misconduct for this knock from behind, one that temporarily forced Talbot from the contest:
Following the contest, Talbot admitted he was falling prior to the hit, which may have played into its severity.
“I can’t really skate that well, so I may have stumbled on my feet,” he said, as per CSN Philly. “I didn’t feel like I got pushed or anything.”
Talbot said he left immediately to undergo concussion testing/protocol, but returned to the game as his head “felt fine.”
As for Pouliot, the Rangers “gagged” him from speaking following the game, according to the New York Daily News. Head coach Alain Vigneault did address the hit, though.
“I thought Pouliot was trying to go shoulder to shoulder and (Max) Talbot lost his step a little bit and fell awkwardly into the boards,” the Rangers’ bench boss explained.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 69
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 29
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 52
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (69)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)