Oct 25, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
Columbus defenseman Ryan Murray will play his 10th game of the season tonight, meaning he’ll no longer be eligible to return to junior and have a year of his entry-level contract saved.
Not that any of this is news to Murray.
The rookie blueliner was informed he’d be sticking with the team earlier this week, according to the Columbus Dispatch. Murray, 20, said GM Jarmo Kekalainen went around the dressing room and told Murray to “get a place” in Columbus, the unofficial confirmation that Murray wouldn’t be headed back to WHL Everett.
The second overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Murray has fared well for Columbus in his rookie campaign. While he’s been limited offensively — just one point through nine games — he’s looked good in other facets, averaging 16:29 TOI per contest while boasting a plus-3 rating, third-best on the team.
For further confirmation of how well Murray’s played, here’s Columbus head coach Todd Richards:
“Ryan’s made some youthful mistakes, but they come from really dominating the league he played in (Western Hockey League). Some of those are habits and you just do it, and sometimes it gets you out of position. When you’re playing at this level, with the strength and speed and size of these guys, you can’t recover.
“But there haven’t been too many of them. To me, he’s one guy who has really helped solidify our back end, which is really an impressive thing to say about a rookie.”
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 16
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 10
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)