Oct 25, 2013, 9:58 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins brought a 2-1 lead into the middle of the third period Friday night, but a flurry of goals gave the New York Islanders an eventual 4-3 win.
Frans Nielsen tied things up 2-2 12:46 into the final frame, but Deryk Engelland regained Pittsburgh’s lead 16 seconds later. Pierre-Marc Bouchard made it 3-3 less than a minute after that Engelland tally and that Josh Bailey scored the game-winner with less than two minutes left.
Nielsen is on fire, by the way, with a blistering six points (two goals, four assists) in his last two games. His 14 points in 2013-14 ties him with Steven Stamkos.
The Penguins weren’t the only people stunned after this game, as New York Newsday’s Arthur Staple captures.
#Isles win, 4-3. I’m still not sure how.
— Arthur Staple (@StapeNewsday) October 26, 2013
The Islanders broke a two-game losing streak while the Penguins find themselves in a two-game losing streak of their own.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)