Oct 25, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
Some news and notes from around the crease…
Buffalo turns to Enroth
Looking to snap out of their funk, the Sabres will turn to Jhonas Enroth on Friday in the hopes of securing their second win of the season.
Enroth, 25, was pegged to challenge Ryan Miller for Buffalo’s No. 1 gig coming into the year, but some strong play by Miller — he’s been Buffalo’s best player — has kept Enroth from making much of an impact.
The Swedish netminder has played just three times this year and hasn’t seen game action since Oct. 14 vs. Minnesota.
Zatkoff gets second game of year
After a rough Pittsburgh debut, Jeff Zatkoff will get to make amends tonight against the Islanders.
The 26-year-old, now Marc-Andre Fleury‘s backup with Tomas Vokoun on LTIR, will play for the first time since allowing six goals on 30 shots in his first game as a Penguin — a 6-3 loss to Florida on Oct. 11.
Zatkoff sounds he’s ready to rebound from that poor performance.
“There will be people out there that judge after one [game], but it’s one game,” he told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I’ve had some time to work in practice and be ready for the next one.”
– Jonathan Bernier looks to be in goal for Toronto vs. Columbus tonight. It would be his fourth consecutive start.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 4
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 22
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)