Oct 25, 2013, 12:04 PM EST
Despite leading Philadelphia in goals this season, Tye McGinn was sent to AHL Adirondack on Friday.
McGinn, 23, is tops among all Flyers with three goals in just four games played. While that might not seem like an overly impressive figure, it carries weight when you consider the Flyers have just 13 goals all season — so, to put it another way, Philly just sent 23 percent of its total offense to the minors.
The reason for McGinn’s demotion is because injured forward Scott Hartnell is ready to make his return on Saturday against the Islanders. Hartnell suffered an upper-body injury on Oct. 11 and has missed the last four games.
In an interesting twist, Philly chose to keep 24-year-old Austrian rookie Michael Raffl up instead of McGinn. Raffl skated on the club’s top line Thursday with Vinny Lecavalier and Claude Giroux, recording one shot on goal.
It has to be said that McGinn has gone silent after his early scoring binge. He’s failed to record a shot over his last two games despite playing on a line with Brayden Schenn and Jake Voracek, a spot Hartnell will fill against the Isles.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 32
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 27
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)