Oct 25, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have boasted one of the league’s most interesting platoon situations in the Jonas Hiller – Viktor Fasth combo. Maybe it will be Fasth and Frederik Andersen battling for those starts in the future?
The Ducks confirmed that they signed Andersen to a two-year contract extension, which will keep him inked through 2015-16. The 24-year-old’s contract is reportedly one-way and worth $1.15 million per season, according to Cap Geek.
This transaction is as interesting regarding Hiller’s future as it is about Andersen’s outlook. Hiller, 31, will see his contract expire after this season. It’s hard to imagine the Ducks carrying three goalies on one-way deals in 2014-15, so will Anaheim trade Hiller or just let the Swiss netminder walk next summer?
Anaheim’s goalie situation was already one to watch, but now it could be downright fascinating. The Ducks might also distinguish themselves by putting together one of the NHL’s cheapest tandems in Fasth – Andersen.
Andersen is actually making his first NHL start tonight, as his only other duty came in relief (Fasth is currently injured). He comes into the NHL with some strong international work on his resume, so it’s clear that the organization’s excitement about him hasn’t changed.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 13
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)