Oct 25, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have boasted one of the league’s most interesting platoon situations in the Jonas Hiller – Viktor Fasth combo. Maybe it will be Fasth and Frederik Andersen battling for those starts in the future?
The Ducks confirmed that they signed Andersen to a two-year contract extension, which will keep him inked through 2015-16. The 24-year-old’s contract is reportedly one-way and worth $1.15 million per season, according to Cap Geek.
This transaction is as interesting regarding Hiller’s future as it is about Andersen’s outlook. Hiller, 31, will see his contract expire after this season. It’s hard to imagine the Ducks carrying three goalies on one-way deals in 2014-15, so will Anaheim trade Hiller or just let the Swiss netminder walk next summer?
Anaheim’s goalie situation was already one to watch, but now it could be downright fascinating. The Ducks might also distinguish themselves by putting together one of the NHL’s cheapest tandems in Fasth – Andersen.
Andersen is actually making his first NHL start tonight, as his only other duty came in relief (Fasth is currently injured). He comes into the NHL with some strong international work on his resume, so it’s clear that the organization’s excitement about him hasn’t changed.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)