Oct 25, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
Back in the summer, when the Detroit Red Wings signed Stephen Weiss to a $24.5 million contract, the plan was to have him center the second line, thus allowing stars Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg to be paired together on the top line.
Unfortunately for Weiss and the Wings, that plan hasn’t worked out as hoped; in 11 games, the 30-year-old former Panther has just two goals, with no assists. As a result, head coach Mike Babcock has been forced to split up Datsyuk and Zetterberg ahead of Saturday’s home game versus the Rangers.
“I told them I wasn’t going to split ’em up; I told you guys I wasn’t going to split ’em up,” Babcock said, per the Detroit Free Press. “Here we are 11 games in, I’m splitting them up.”
The Wings are winless in three after starting 6-2-0. On Wednesday, they were embarrassed 6-1 by the Ottawa Senators — a game that saw Weiss play a season-low 12:45.
“This falls on me,’’ he said, per MLive.com. “You have to realize you’re a good hockey player and you’re here for a reason.’’
Related: Stephen Weiss is Under Pressure
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)