Oct 24, 2013, 11:20 PM EST
Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin is on fire right now, but he’s not just getting bounces. The Russian winger’s looking like the Ovechkin of “old,” firing a dizzying amount of pucks at opposing nets.
He scored his 10th goal in 10 games to give Washington an early 1-0 lead against the Edmonton Oilers Thursday:
Such a run makes TSN’s Bob McKenzie wonder if Ovechkin, 28, can score 70 goals this season (and similar thoughts about Sidney Crosby reaching 150+ points). Ovi has 32 goals in his last 31 regular season games, assuming he doesn’t get any more on Thursday.
Again, it’s not just like everything is going in for Ovechkin. He has an absurd 61 shots on goal in nine games and already has five tonight, so he’ll average at least 6.6 shots per contest once tonight’s game is over. The 14.8 shooting percentage he carried into Thursday is only slightly better than his career average of 12.2.
Does that mean we can expect 70 in 82 or 82 in 82? Probably not, but with a 65-goal season on his resume (2007-08), it’s not as crazy as it sounds.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)