Oct 24, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin is on fire right now, but he’s not just getting bounces. The Russian winger’s looking like the Ovechkin of “old,” firing a dizzying amount of pucks at opposing nets.
He scored his 10th goal in 10 games to give Washington an early 1-0 lead against the Edmonton Oilers Thursday:
Such a run makes TSN’s Bob McKenzie wonder if Ovechkin, 28, can score 70 goals this season (and similar thoughts about Sidney Crosby reaching 150+ points). Ovi has 32 goals in his last 31 regular season games, assuming he doesn’t get any more on Thursday.
Again, it’s not just like everything is going in for Ovechkin. He has an absurd 61 shots on goal in nine games and already has five tonight, so he’ll average at least 6.6 shots per contest once tonight’s game is over. The 14.8 shooting percentage he carried into Thursday is only slightly better than his career average of 12.2.
Does that mean we can expect 70 in 82 or 82 in 82? Probably not, but with a 65-goal season on his resume (2007-08), it’s not as crazy as it sounds.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 1
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 22
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)