Oct 24, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin is on fire right now, but he’s not just getting bounces. The Russian winger’s looking like the Ovechkin of “old,” firing a dizzying amount of pucks at opposing nets.
He scored his 10th goal in 10 games to give Washington an early 1-0 lead against the Edmonton Oilers Thursday:
Such a run makes TSN’s Bob McKenzie wonder if Ovechkin, 28, can score 70 goals this season (and similar thoughts about Sidney Crosby reaching 150+ points). Ovi has 32 goals in his last 31 regular season games, assuming he doesn’t get any more on Thursday.
Again, it’s not just like everything is going in for Ovechkin. He has an absurd 61 shots on goal in nine games and already has five tonight, so he’ll average at least 6.6 shots per contest once tonight’s game is over. The 14.8 shooting percentage he carried into Thursday is only slightly better than his career average of 12.2.
Does that mean we can expect 70 in 82 or 82 in 82? Probably not, but with a 65-goal season on his resume (2007-08), it’s not as crazy as it sounds.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)