Oct 24, 2013, 11:20 PM EST
Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin is on fire right now, but he’s not just getting bounces. The Russian winger’s looking like the Ovechkin of “old,” firing a dizzying amount of pucks at opposing nets.
He scored his 10th goal in 10 games to give Washington an early 1-0 lead against the Edmonton Oilers Thursday:
Such a run makes TSN’s Bob McKenzie wonder if Ovechkin, 28, can score 70 goals this season (and similar thoughts about Sidney Crosby reaching 150+ points). Ovi has 32 goals in his last 31 regular season games, assuming he doesn’t get any more on Thursday.
Again, it’s not just like everything is going in for Ovechkin. He has an absurd 61 shots on goal in nine games and already has five tonight, so he’ll average at least 6.6 shots per contest once tonight’s game is over. The 14.8 shooting percentage he carried into Thursday is only slightly better than his career average of 12.2.
Does that mean we can expect 70 in 82 or 82 in 82? Probably not, but with a 65-goal season on his resume (2007-08), it’s not as crazy as it sounds.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)