Oct 24, 2013, 12:21 PM EST
The Vancouver Canucks have a reputation for embellishment. That’s a fact.
How much they actually deserve said reputation has been debated to no end; however, for new head coach John Tortorella, it’s a debate he hopes will peter out during his tenure behind the bench.
“When I wasn’t coaching here, everybody outside thought Vancouver dove and did some whining,” Tortorella said today in New Jersey, per NHL.com’s Dan Rosen. “Our team is not going to dive. I don’t think there is much whining going on either.
“It’s my chance to say we’re going to be an honest team, trying to be an honest team, and I hope we get some calls along the way.”
The Canucks, who Tortorella says he’s “talked to” about embellishment, haven’t been getting a ton of calls so far this season. In 11 games, they’ve had just 29 power-play opportunities, with 12 of those coming in their first two games. In each of their last nine, they haven’t had more than three. Four times they’ve only had one.
“I’m certainly not trying to accuse the league or refs of [having a bias against the Canucks],” said Tortorella, “but I know there’s been a reputation. Sometimes that hangs around.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (121)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)