Oct 24, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks have a reputation for embellishment. That’s a fact.
How much they actually deserve said reputation has been debated to no end; however, for new head coach John Tortorella, it’s a debate he hopes will peter out during his tenure behind the bench.
“When I wasn’t coaching here, everybody outside thought Vancouver dove and did some whining,” Tortorella said today in New Jersey, per NHL.com’s Dan Rosen. “Our team is not going to dive. I don’t think there is much whining going on either.
“It’s my chance to say we’re going to be an honest team, trying to be an honest team, and I hope we get some calls along the way.”
The Canucks, who Tortorella says he’s “talked to” about embellishment, haven’t been getting a ton of calls so far this season. In 11 games, they’ve had just 29 power-play opportunities, with 12 of those coming in their first two games. In each of their last nine, they haven’t had more than three. Four times they’ve only had one.
“I’m certainly not trying to accuse the league or refs of [having a bias against the Canucks],” said Tortorella, “but I know there’s been a reputation. Sometimes that hangs around.”
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)