Oct 24, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks have a reputation for embellishment. That’s a fact.
How much they actually deserve said reputation has been debated to no end; however, for new head coach John Tortorella, it’s a debate he hopes will peter out during his tenure behind the bench.
“When I wasn’t coaching here, everybody outside thought Vancouver dove and did some whining,” Tortorella said today in New Jersey, per NHL.com’s Dan Rosen. “Our team is not going to dive. I don’t think there is much whining going on either.
“It’s my chance to say we’re going to be an honest team, trying to be an honest team, and I hope we get some calls along the way.”
The Canucks, who Tortorella says he’s “talked to” about embellishment, haven’t been getting a ton of calls so far this season. In 11 games, they’ve had just 29 power-play opportunities, with 12 of those coming in their first two games. In each of their last nine, they haven’t had more than three. Four times they’ve only had one.
“I’m certainly not trying to accuse the league or refs of [having a bias against the Canucks],” said Tortorella, “but I know there’s been a reputation. Sometimes that hangs around.”
- Letang banged up by Doan hit 0
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 0
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 8
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)