Oct 24, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks have a reputation for embellishment. That’s a fact.
How much they actually deserve said reputation has been debated to no end; however, for new head coach John Tortorella, it’s a debate he hopes will peter out during his tenure behind the bench.
“When I wasn’t coaching here, everybody outside thought Vancouver dove and did some whining,” Tortorella said today in New Jersey, per NHL.com’s Dan Rosen. “Our team is not going to dive. I don’t think there is much whining going on either.
“It’s my chance to say we’re going to be an honest team, trying to be an honest team, and I hope we get some calls along the way.”
The Canucks, who Tortorella says he’s “talked to” about embellishment, haven’t been getting a ton of calls so far this season. In 11 games, they’ve had just 29 power-play opportunities, with 12 of those coming in their first two games. In each of their last nine, they haven’t had more than three. Four times they’ve only had one.
“I’m certainly not trying to accuse the league or refs of [having a bias against the Canucks],” said Tortorella, “but I know there’s been a reputation. Sometimes that hangs around.”
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 6
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 11
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 49
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 104
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (104)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)