Oct 24, 2013, 11:56 AM EST
“It was unfortunate what happened,” Scott said, as per the Sabres website.
Scott — who, despite his reputation as one of the NHL’s fiercest fighters, doesn’t have a disciplinary record — was given a match penalty for illegal check to the head with about 15 minutes remaining in the third period and Boston in command of the game.
The hit set off a firestorm of reactions on social media, many calling for a lengthy ban. The Sabres organization and head coach Ron Rolston were also under fire, as both has now seen three high-profile disciplinary incidents within the last month: the preseason bench-clearing brawl with Toronto, Patrick Kaleta‘s 10-game suspension for hitting Columbus’ Jack Johnson and, now, the Scott hit.
According to Bill Hoppe of Buffalo Hockey Beat, Scott was “adamant” he had no intent to injure Eriksson on the hit and said he texted the Bruins forward to apologize.
Scott, 31, is scheduled for an in-person hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, and is suspended indefinitely until that hearing.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (80)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)