Oct 24, 2013, 11:56 AM EDT
“It was unfortunate what happened,” Scott said, as per the Sabres website.
Scott — who, despite his reputation as one of the NHL’s fiercest fighters, doesn’t have a disciplinary record — was given a match penalty for illegal check to the head with about 15 minutes remaining in the third period and Boston in command of the game.
The hit set off a firestorm of reactions on social media, many calling for a lengthy ban. The Sabres organization and head coach Ron Rolston were also under fire, as both has now seen three high-profile disciplinary incidents within the last month: the preseason bench-clearing brawl with Toronto, Patrick Kaleta‘s 10-game suspension for hitting Columbus’ Jack Johnson and, now, the Scott hit.
According to Bill Hoppe of Buffalo Hockey Beat, Scott was “adamant” he had no intent to injure Eriksson on the hit and said he texted the Bruins forward to apologize.
Scott, 31, is scheduled for an in-person hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, and is suspended indefinitely until that hearing.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)