Oct 24, 2013, 11:56 AM EDT
“It was unfortunate what happened,” Scott said, as per the Sabres website.
Scott — who, despite his reputation as one of the NHL’s fiercest fighters, doesn’t have a disciplinary record — was given a match penalty for illegal check to the head with about 15 minutes remaining in the third period and Boston in command of the game.
The hit set off a firestorm of reactions on social media, many calling for a lengthy ban. The Sabres organization and head coach Ron Rolston were also under fire, as both has now seen three high-profile disciplinary incidents within the last month: the preseason bench-clearing brawl with Toronto, Patrick Kaleta‘s 10-game suspension for hitting Columbus’ Jack Johnson and, now, the Scott hit.
According to Bill Hoppe of Buffalo Hockey Beat, Scott was “adamant” he had no intent to injure Eriksson on the hit and said he texted the Bruins forward to apologize.
Scott, 31, is scheduled for an in-person hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, and is suspended indefinitely until that hearing.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)