Scott says no intent to hurt Eriksson, calls hit ‘unfortunate’

Oct 24, 2013, 11:56 AM EST

JohnScott2 Getty Images

The day after nailing Boston forward Loui Eriksson with a check to the head, Sabres tough guy John Scott met with reporters to explain his side of things.

“It was unfortunate what happened,” Scott said, as per the Sabres website.

Scott — who, despite his reputation as one of the NHL’s fiercest fighters, doesn’t have a disciplinary record — was given a match penalty for illegal check to the head with about 15 minutes remaining in the third period and Boston in command of the game.

The hit set off a firestorm of reactions on social media, many calling for a lengthy ban. The Sabres organization and head coach Ron Rolston were also under fire, as both has now seen three high-profile disciplinary incidents within the last month: the preseason bench-clearing brawl with Toronto, Patrick Kaleta‘s 10-game suspension for hitting Columbus’ Jack Johnson and, now, the Scott hit.

According to Bill Hoppe of Buffalo Hockey Beat, Scott was “adamant” he had no intent to injure Eriksson on the hit and said he texted the Bruins forward to apologize.

Scott, 31, is scheduled for an in-person hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, and is suspended indefinitely until that hearing.

1. titansbro - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Until teams are penalized for utilizing these no talent goons like Scott then these plays will continue to happen. As Claude said, he did his job. That’s the only he’s even in an NHL team.

• doubles22 - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Ahhhh, ol’ “It was unfortunate what happened out there…” Like what happened to Eriksson was a matter of happenstance, or being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Just one time I’d like to see a guy step up and say, “I apologize for what I did.” Would be nice to hear someone be accountable for their actions, whilst leaving nothing about his apology open to interpretation.

• doubles22 - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I don’t remember BJS being this much of a knuckle-dragger when he was with the Wild. Sure he fought, but I can’t recall any time I thought of him as a cheap-shot artist (Eriksson) or spot-picker (Kessel). The lasting impression I have of him being a “reluctant, but willing” fighter with the Wild is fading in a hurry.

Side note- Why anyone still puts a mic in front of Milbury’s fat yap is beyond me. Listening to him rant about “John Scott has to grow up,” and calling him names like “meat head” almost made me sick to my stomach. Especially after I harkened back to that knob going into the stands at MSG, taking off dude’s loafer, and clubbing him over the head with it…

• jpelle82 - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:05 PM

when did they sign him? was it before or after the miller/lucic incident? i’m sure either way he was signed with an expectation to fight but like the article says he hasnt been this cheapshot type guy people are making him out to be. i’m by no means defending him but i tend to believe that sometimes people can become a product of their environment. i feel like the sabres are responsible for this stuff just as much as scott is. he’s a guy desperate to keep a job and get minutes, i feel like the message was sent to him whether spoken or not, that this is how he has to behave to keep his job and that the sabres dont want to be pushed around anymore. not a coincidence this happens against boston or shortly after kaleta was suspended…

2. bekay19 - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:06 PM

It is “unfortunate” Scott is even employed by the Sabers.
    I do not blame Scott… he did his job!
    We know he wasn’t out there down by 2 with ten minutes left in a division game to score a goal.
    Sabers are an embarrassment, I usually never agree with Mike Milbury (and he was fairly aggressive) but this is all on Ron Rolston and the pathetic franchise that is the Buffalo Sabers.
    Suspend Rolston, and do your fans a favor and fire Rieger

3. freneticgarfieldfan - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Your half-hearted apologies are not good enough, Scott.
    You now have to pay.
    I hope it was your very last game of your “career” (not only NHL).

4. mcphillthy - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM

The hit was late. The hit was high. He targeted the head. Its pretty self explexplanatory. The most unfortunate thing about this is that he will be allowed to play in the NHL again after his suspension.

• Moop - Oct 24, 2013 at 3:52 PM

To be fair, this is his first suspension of his career and I don’t know of any other instances where he has put dirty hits on other players. Is he a goon? Yes. Is he skilled enough to really be worth a roster spot on an NHL team? Probably not. But is he a repeat offender deserving of a lifetime ban? Not really.

• elvispocomo - Oct 24, 2013 at 4:58 PM

If he’s out of the NHL, I agree it’s because he can’t play hockey rather than because of a ban by the league. This is hardly an isolated incident from a player either good or bad, so clean up the act and decided repeat offenders, but everyone gets a chance to come back from mistakes.

5. joey4id - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Did he apologize for concussing Thornton last year? Was that unfortunate as well?

• buddysguys - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:23 PM

he did that with a punch….not a cheap shot.

• joey4id - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Oh! Duh! Of course. Concussing another player with punches is some how not unfortunate. It’s actually more glorified than a cheap shot, yet the result is the same, and the potential life repercussions are the same.

• ibieiniid - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM

joey’s doing his best to connect this hit with fighting somehow, has been since last night…. but I still don’t see the connection.

• joey4id - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

ibieiniid, c’mon! You’re smarter than that. It’s about concussions and how it affects the players and their families. It’s bigger than fighting, it’s bigger than the game. Chris Nowinski has been showing the impact of concussions even before they were a big media story.

• ibieiniid - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:59 PM

So why are you on all these stories about a HIT, pleading to take FIGHTS out of the game? If you were just about preventing concussions, why don’t you address the way THIS guy got a concussion instead of the way a few other unrelated guys got them? I don’t understand where the connection between THIS HIT and fighting comes in.

• dropthepuckeh - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I think joey has taken one too many punches to the head.

• dtownbeatdown - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:04 PM

@joey4id STOP comparing fighting and hitting. Two different animals. When two men fight, they both make that choice, so what happens in that instance can be put blame on both parties. A cheap shot to the head is uncalled for absolutely, I agree with that, but when you drop the gloves you should be prepared for the possible consequences. Simple way to fix that, don’t drop the gloves.

Since I have been watching hockey, fighting has always been part of it, the new age hockey rules and fans are making this game weak.

Do you get it? Fighting=choice, cheap shot=dirty

• joey4id - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:16 PM

In this article I called out the hypocrisy of a player who deems the result of a hit as unfortunate, but not for another act which which also resulted in a concussion. And we suck it all up like blind bats for the sole purpose of our entertainment.

• rabidbillsfan - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Funny, didn’t look malicious to me. Maybe it’s because I understand the human anatomy, and the fact that while Scott should be more aware during his checks, he has 6+ inches on him. I mean, call it whatever you guys want so you can sleep better at night, but no different than Lucic running Miller. Loui had his head down, puck on the tape, fair game to take a hit. I know, I know, it’s only ok if it’s your team that does it. Guess what though, when Scotts on the ice, players are going to take a little more caution when trying to be smooth, or when they try and ruffle the feathers of a youngster or Star. Hit to the head or not, a Scott check in the open ice will usually send you to the bench, and if another player wants to step in a defend his jewels, well… 2 players for the price of 1. Again, it was a hit to the head, so the leauge needs to step in, but if it really turns into this long suspension for a guy who has ZERO history of inflicting damage outside of fights, it needs to be carried out consistently for the rest of the season for anybody who does the same.

• ibieiniid - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:23 PM

ok so explain the connection on the other 3 or 4 articles.

….actually, don’t.

• joey4id - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM

dtownbeatdown, I could argue that from the moment they accept to lace the skates and play hockey they make the choice, so what happens during the game can be put to blame on all parties. A cheap hot is uncalled for, but, according to you a punch is called for.

Since I have been watching hockey too, fighting has always been part of it, the new age science has revealed things never seen before with respect to brain damage. In part thanks to Chris Nowinski.

Do you get it? Fighting=concussion, cheap shot=concussion

• hockeyflow33 - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:27 PM

@rabidbillsfan
        That would be a great point except his head wasn’t down and Scott took steps after Eriksson had already passed the puck

• ironyisadeadscene - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:35 PM

rabidbillsfan…..the puck wasn’t on the tape, it was gone already…he was watching the pass…it was a late hit no matter how you look it

• ibieiniid - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:40 PM

yeah, if you go to the web version of the first story about this, the one with the video, look at the video window before you hit play. it shows the precise moment the contact was made, and you can see how far away the puck is too.

• pepper2011 - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:50 PM

it’s ok – rabidbills fan doesn’t understand what real hockey (or football) is supposed to look like. His examples are two of the biggest jokes in professional sports.

you all keep falling back on the miller hit like there is a correlation. There is NOT. That was 3 years ago.

I could also make a very strong argument that the Lucic hit was way cleaner than this. Lucic hit miller yes, but it’s more of a reaction. Should he have done it, ABSOLUTELY NOT. He was skating hard with his head down, and didn’t notice him until the last minute – could he have avoided him, probably yes, but – lets be honest – it was more of a collision. If Lucic wanted to, he could have killed Miller. Miller also swung his stick like all you Sabres fans were calling kessel out for. MILLER DID THE SAME THING.

JOHN SCOTT, NOR LOUI ERIKSSON WAS NOT ON THE TEAM WHEN LUCIC HIT MILLER.

would you like me to find a play where Mike foligno cheap shotted someone on the Bruins in 1988 and call the Lucic/Miller incident Karma or retribution.

Seriously; real Sabres fans you gotta stop the rest of your idiot fan base from speaking… I mean seriously; even Montreal, Vancouver and Flyers fans aren’t on John Scott’s side. Why? because this guy is a waste of a roster spot, and it’s just a matter of time before he hurts another guy in the league.

AND for everyone saying it was his size: Chara is, and Myers appears to be moving in that direction – are both physical. I don’t seem them hitting the head as the principle point of contact.

The guy just can’t play in this league. He doesn’t see the game or execute it at the same speed as the rest of the guys in the league. He is an embarrassment to the league.

There is going to be Mcsorely type incident involving this guy; Kessel almost did it and someone will eventually not know how to defend themselves against a pro wrestler on skates.

I will say it again because I love the idea of teams keeping a guy like Jon Jones on speed dial and signing him to one day contract for when they play the Sabres. If Scott gets ice time roll Jones out there to attack Hodgson, Ennis or Vanek. That should get the point across.

Also Buffalo fans. you realize having this guy on your team pretty much eliminates any player with talent signing or accepting (if NTC) to the Sabres. Why would they? the coach and GM obviously have NO desire to win if you are rolling this guy out there down 2 goals with 6 minutes left. You are averaging 1.36 goals a game. Congrats.

• gallyhatch - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Pepper2011 is WAY to logical for the comment sections on PHT.

In all seriousness, great post pepper, preach on.

• rabidbillsfan - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Alright, puck was off the tape. Regardless. That’s not a penalty if there is no contact anywhere near the head. Scott’s feet stopped, didn’t change his position to inflict any more harm, that’s finishing a check. It’s funny that you knock my sports “expertise” but use Chara and Myers in the same sentence. If ONLY Myers would actually trend in that direction, the top 2 picks from this years draft wouldn’t have been physical D-men. And you really are some sort of special, so this has turned into Scott attacking another player? I’m pretty sure he was on the ice before Lou got the puck. Maybe you should check the video again, because not only is that the farthest thing from an attack, it was also only 5 min in, not 5 min left, so are you sure you watched the video? I know, hockey players NEVER pick fights to try and swing momentum, right? I mean, you clearly have the upper hand in the education department, so enlighten me. 2 goals down, young players who can feed off some crowd energy, terrible idea, I know. And, no, Buffalo doesn’t need anybody to waive it’s NTC to come here, it’s called a re-build for a reason. That thing the Bruins did so that all of these trolls could come out of the wood work, yeah, it’s sports, it happens. I’ll admit, hockey isn’t my forte, but I can clearly tell you are pulling whatever it is you are selling out of your behind. I’ll at least give you the benefit of knowing more than the Announcers, but just a little bit more. The Lucic/Miller incident was 2 years ago, not 3, nor 1 like Pierre alluded to. I mean, I’m surprised how much Google makes when clearly nobody uses it.

• buddysguys - Oct 24, 2013 at 3:58 PM

you dont want to be concussed playing a game you are paid very well to play go be a doctor or a lawyer. As long as checking is in this game and fighting are in the game you will see head injuries, knee injuries, back injuires and more. The goal is to try and make them clean….you think Umberger doesnt have long term effects after Campbell crushed him on open ice?? It was a clean hit but he is still going to suffer from some of these same issues as everyone else who plays the GAME.

• johnscottforpresident - Oct 24, 2013 at 4:10 PM

if i recall….it was actually a fluury of punches, followed by a big punch. I didn’t think it was possible, but Thornton was actually better looking after that face rearrangement he got from John “The Beheomoth” Scott.

• pepper2011 - Oct 24, 2013 at 4:43 PM

@rabidbillsfan – Yes, two years ago, but this is the 3rd season. We had all of 2011, 2012 and now we are into 2013. semantics, but I’ll give you that.

My point is it is not just a rebuilding season. It is a culture. This will be the 3rd season in a row they don’t make the playoffs. Vanek and Miller; who are your two best players are on the way out, and you can’t fill your roster will all teenage prospects (see Edmonton). It may be exciting at times, but isn’t going to propel you to the top.

This Sabres team and management have destroyed a pretty decent core in just a few years. With the realignment there is virtually no hope of making the playoffs any time soon. All the young guys you are drafting will not resign (UFA vs RFA) or demand trades. You will not be able to get any UFA’s to sign there- which despite what you think; you cannot have one rebuilding season via the draft only. That rebuild you talk about the Bruins having revolved around them SIGNING UFA CHARA.

Get it yet?

look at Edmonton and then realize you more than likely won’t, and haven’t drafted anyone anywhere near the talent level of Hall, RNH, or Yakapov. What is going to happen to Buffalo is what happened to Anaheim with Shultz – they will draft and not be able to sign their pick thus losing them a few years later.

Also – I know you think it a re-build season, but take a look back at the last few drafts; It takes the majority of these guys a few years to develop. Most of the kids drafted are still teenagers and aren’t strong enough to play in the league. Yes, there are always exceptions. Look at Grigerenko – 3rd overall pick and exactly 1 nhl goal in 34 games over two seasons.
        Dmen take even longer. I brought up Myers because he was noticeable last night. For the first time since his rookie year; I saw potential. Chara wasn’t Chara until he came to Boston or at least his last couple years with the Sens. Like I said Dmen take longer.

I know all the kids they are rolling out there make you think there is some serious talent there, and there may be, but be careful. 82games in the NHL against men is more than
        any of these kids are used to. just look at Seguin and Hamilton on the B’s great regular seasons, not so great in the playoffs. Guys like Krug and Bartkowski were able to step up because they went through College and had time to develop.

bottom line is Sabres are gonna be in the basement for a while.

• sabatimus - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Agenda man strikes again. You simply don’t shut up do you?

• greenmtnboy31 - Oct 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Thornton deserved it.

6. jb8588 - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I totally agree with the hit being late…he should of let up and not hit Eriksson the way he did. However…one thing to point out that I feel maybe he didn’t target the head. Because of Scott’s size, his shoulders are pretty much right at the same height at Eriksson’s head. If Scott was a average size player and did the same thing, it wouldn’t of been a head shot. I think Scott’s size was just a disadvantage in this and probably wasn’t targeting the head. I think that’s one thing to consider her when it comes to his intent.

• abe01225 - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Except he used his elbow to hit Eriksson’s head not his shoulder. There is the intent.

• elvispocomo - Oct 24, 2013 at 5:08 PM

And there’s the fact that he has to try and hit squarely through the body, which he clearly didn’t either. Both of those are bigger factors in the hit to the head and the (probable) resulting suspension than Scott being really, really tall.

• mcphillthy - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Height is not an issue. I am 100% sure he knows how to play to his size. The hit was already dirty…. Why wouldn’t he make sure it’s an elbow to the head since he clearly showed intent to injure with the hit alone?! He knows what height his elbow is at. Don’t make excuses for this dick move by Scott. He did what he intended to do

• denverwally - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM

The head shot happened because he is so tall. And what happened, did he just grow 6 inches before the game? He KNOWS how big he is, he KNOWS his shoulders are at head height of most normal sized players. HE hast to alter the way HE plays to keep from hitting heads with his shoulders.
      Get it?
      And the best thing for Scott was getting the match penalty before Chara had a chance to get hold of him. A guy who belongs in the league, a great player. A guy actually bigger, a far better athlete, much stronger and agile. Chara would have probably put him in the hospital, one broken facial bone at a time.
      You see this floating turd (Scott) going after guys who do not fight in the league, highly skilled players like Eriksson and Kessel. That is the reason Ennis and some of the other real players on the Sabres should have their heads on a swivel the next time they take the ice. That is the only reason the Sabres will stop putting worthless human beings like Scott on the ice. He is putting their own skill players in danger.

• thesportsjudge - Oct 24, 2013 at 4:11 PM

“Because of Scott’s size”….does this mean he hits his head on the top of a doorframe on a daily basis? How old is this guy? 30ish? How long has he been playing “hockey?” 15-20ish years? I think this guy knows his size.

7. withseidelinn - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM

He’s not even a good fighter!!!!!!!

• ibieiniid - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM

lol come on. surely you can’t think that. that’s the only reason he’s in the league, because he’s big and a good fighter.

• withseidelinn - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Watch his fights, he just wrestles haha

• hockeyflow33 - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I didn’t someone could top joey4id for dumbest comment but congrats, you have managed to do so.

8. sabatimus - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:38 PM

That oughta do it, thanks very much Scott..

9. dlk75150 - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Loui is a favorite of mine from fall and I watch Boston bc of his. He is a very classy player and very skilled and knows how to stay out of these types of situations but he never saw this guy coming. Really low dirty hit on a really clean classy player.

10. rsmith1756 - Oct 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM

erriccson got caught with his head down admiring his great dump in, hes gotta learn to keep his head up. its center ice gotta expect someone is looking to hit you. Scotts hit was clean, elbows down, glided in, stayed on his feet. maybe a half seclate butall these people calling for his head i dont get. hes on the team because the hunchback of charleston ran our goalie. If it wasnt for that Thorton would have one less concussion and not considered past his prime, and loui wouldnt be in the hospital still. If you wanna blame someone blame lucic

• ibieiniid - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:02 PM

they’re calling for his head because he damaged somebody else’s head.

hitting –> ok
      hitting players squarely in their head –> not ok

that’s PRECISELY what they suspend people for…. which is what Scott will be dealing with

• ibieiniid - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

and don’t talk about the size difference. Scott knows he’s tall. he knows heads are at his shoulder level. he should either not make the hit, or duck into it…. tall guys have been having to do that forever, Scott is no exception.

• elvispocomo - Oct 24, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Rome’s hit on Horton was clean other than being a half second late. Scott’s hit was illegal on a number of counts: late, elbow, not hitting squarely through the body are just the main points.

11. govtminion - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:32 PM

When a team has this many incidents like what the Sabres have had this year, I’d like to see the team start getting penalized. And since these teams are owned by people who have more money than they’ll ever know what to do with, fines won’t work.

Hit them where it hurts. Penalize a team by removing some of their salary cap room for the following season, and I’ll bet teams start cracking down on people like Kaleta and Scott REAL fast. I’m not saying do this for every instance, but when a pattern forms like this, I guarantee this will get a team owner’s attention far better than any fine or player suspension ever will.

• ibieiniid - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:45 PM

lol if only you thought about this BEFORE they wrote the new CBA. only 7(?) more years til that can be implemented!

• govtminion - Oct 24, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Eh, like the NHL would listen to common sense anyway even if they had the opportunity. The owners would never sign off on something that would penalize themselves, no matter how smart of an idea it is.

12. keepyerstickontheice - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:56 PM

It’s a concussion issue, ever since the Sabres hired Scott, Miller hasn’t had a concussion.

• elvispocomo - Oct 24, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Lucic knows he got his one free pass. He was happy to take it too.

13. pizzaman77 - Oct 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Here’s a full quote that Scott had to say: “It’s just nonsense. There was 14 minutes left in the game and if you watch my shifts, our line was doing pretty well that game. We had zone time and we were playing really well, so to say that he sends me out there to hurt somebody is just asinine. I’m a hockey player and I go out there and play my game. I’m physical, I hit, that’s my role. I’m not going to score a million goals and I get frustrated when people say I’m a goon. I have a role, I do it and I go out and be physical and it’s unfortunate what happened last night.”

• denverwally - Oct 24, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Hey Scott, you have one goal in the last 3 years and only a handful of points in that same span of time. Do not act like you are a real hockey player. You have one role, and if fighting were not allowed (which I do not advocate, there is a place for it) you would be shoveling gravel for a living. You are a goon, not a hockey player. I love that comment “I am not going to score a million goals”. Yea, thats right. If you scored ONE goal you would double your total for the last 3 seasons.
      Worthless is the only description for this piece of crap.

• rabidbillsfan - Oct 24, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Funny, I didn’t know there was such a thing as a 1/2 a goal. And Scott is the one that should be shoveling gravel.

• johnscottforpresident - Oct 24, 2013 at 4:07 PM

my user name says it all…..

14. nunan - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I believe Scott when he says he didn’t mean to hit him in the head and hurt him. I honestly don’t believe ANY player runs around trying to hurt another player. Some run around trying to lay some huge hits and piss people off but nobody is trying to cause concussions or blow out knees. Only the media or homerish fans actually think players go out to concuss because it is a dramatic reaction to this. Having said that, it still doesn’t make this acceptable and any player needs to be more aware of what they are doing and the situation in the game. Why is Rolston putting him out there in a close game in the third period like that anyway? I hope he gets 10 games.

15. crazemastercraze - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Just curious: what’s the difference in height between Scott and Erikkson?

• scalfor3 - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Doesn’t really matter when the follow through to the head is that blatant

• denverwally - Oct 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM

6’8″ for Scott, 6’2″ for Erikkson. Also known as half a foot.

16. mornelithe - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM

You know, I’ve heard a number of folks saying that Scott’s presence on the Saber’s was because of Lucic v Miller, and I’m not going to argue that here, because I didn’t see it, haven’t seen it, and don’t care. Why? Because this has nothing to do with Lucic. How do I know that? Because he hit Eriksson. If the Saber’s have an issue with what Lucic did, why wouldn’t they relish the opportunity to beat the crap out of Lucic any chance they get? Instead of targeting someone else? As I’m aware Scott is bigger (weight wise) than anyone on the Bruins, so it shouldn’t be an issue of size.

It makes absolutely no sense to me, it’s like beating up someone’s little brother because the bigger brother did something to you once. How is that even a logical course of action? I like fights in Hockey, and I enjoy seeing teams stick up for their goaltenders or players…but targeting someone who isn’t the source of your ire? What sense does that make? Taking Eriksson out doesn’t help the Sabers chances of winning…so are they just trying to help other teams by injuring a new player (who just so happened to not score once last night either).

• Moop - Oct 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM

The score with Lucic should have been settled when he fought Paul Gaustad the next game Buffalo and Boston played after the Lucic/Miller incident. The reason why John Scott is connected to that is because Lucic beat Gaustad in that fight and then last season the Sabres decided they needed to employ a great fighter like Scott so they wouldn’t be “bullied” around by Eastern Conference teams like the Bruins. It’s not a bad idea, but it’s made the Sabres a lot worse since their tougher players don’t have much skill to them.

• elvispocomo - Oct 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Technically the score on Lucic should have been settled with a suspension but they only implemented tougher penalties for hits on goalies after deciding his was ok. That was the directive of the GMs as a result of the Lucic hit, but still it’s one he got away with and knew there wasn’t enough size on the Sabres to really come after him next game.

• mornelithe - Oct 24, 2013 at 7:09 PM

So I watched the play Lucic v Miller, and I guess I don’t understand the rules here. Setting aside that it was a goalie, what was the problem with the hit? Was it because Miller had cleared the puck too long before the hit? Or was it strictly because it was the goalie? My apologies, I’m not quite up to speed on the nuances of hockey rules. The hit didn’t appear to have any elbow contact from the views I saw. So I guess I’m just not understanding the rules here.

I thought as a Goalie, you’re seriously protected in the crease, but if you leave the crease it’s fair game (for clean hits)? Is that not the case? Or does this all come down to the time between the puck leaving Miller’s stick and Lucic’s hit?

• mornelithe - Oct 24, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Sorry, I meant elbow contact to the head. And I’m not trying to exonerate Lucic, if that was a bad hit then it was a bad hit and he deserved punishment. I’m just trying to understand the rules (before the rule change and after).

17. shortsxit34 - Oct 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Scott simply does not belong in the league. He brings nothing to the table outside of attempting to injure other players. He has 1G 4A in 187 career games. Just in case that doesn’t register with some people, Mike Smith already has more career points than Scott (including being tied in goals). Brodeur, Hextall, Turco…all have career stats out of Scott’s reach (two of which have more goals). He’s a circus act.

And missing him doesn’t penalize the team at all. If anything, they get to use the spot with somebody that can skate. The NHL needs to start penalizing the team-fines, suspending coaches, taking away salary cap. I think the easiest and most obvious thing to do is take away a roster spot. Make suspended players use up an active roster spot so they cant fill it. The NHLPA would never go for it, but it makes the most sense to me.

18. bollandio - Oct 24, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I have not seen the replay, but after watching 32 in CHI for a couple years, I have to say that he did not appear to be a headhunter (during play) NOR did he possess the skating ability to be one. Don’t know, but would estimate his hits per minute ratio at the bottom 10% of the league.. he just couldn’t catch up to hit anyone.

19. dewzer - Oct 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM

rabid bills fan. you understand anatomy because you are a d*&k. The hit violated all principles of a suspendable offense. Late, blind side and to the head. You should upgrade to an HDTV, that puck was long gone and his head was up, just not turned 90 degrees to the right. At least you actually acknowlege it was to the head. It doesn’t matter what team you root for this is a BS hit that needs to be eliminated from the game.

20. johnscottforpresident - Oct 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM

This is ridiculous…it wasn’t a head shot. His forearm hit Louise in the upper chest. Watch it again and again. And let’s get something else straight right now: this firestorm of publicity and comments is all based on idiot Mike Milbury’s rant last night calling for Scott to be out of the league, and for Ron Rolston to be fired. He said Scott is worthless and not a hockey player. He said Rolston is a horrible coach for what he did sending Scott out on the ice. If you saw it, you heard it. If you didn’t find, it somewhere.
    For perspective of where these comments came from let’s remember a few things here about Milbury:
    As a player:
    840 career games played
    53 goals (.06 goals per game)
    1,771 PIM’s(which is on avg, one per game)
    once jumped into the stands during a game, and beat someone with a shoe.

As a 6 year NHL Coach/GM:
    133 wins
    131 losses(50 of them in one season)
    Had Mick Vukota, Dennis Vaske, Darius Kasparitis, Paul Kruse in the line up nightly with Isalnders

As a GM
    Drafted Roberto Luongo and signed to a 15 year deal
    Traded Zdeno Chara, Bill Muckalt, & 1st Round Selection (Jason Spezza) for Alexei Yashin, then signed Yashin to a $90M, 10 year contract

As a broadcaster
    Called the Sedin boys Thelma and Lousie
    Had it out with Jeremy Roenick during the Olympics
    Called Sidney Crosby a punk, and then said Dan Bylsma(the Pens coach) should have “taken off his skirt” during an argument between assitant coaches, basically encouraging a coach to fight.
    Actually referred to Phil Kessel’s two handed swinging of his stick on John Scott’s legs/ankles protecting himself against “this goon”. I wonder if he would have felt differently if it were a shoe….

So, the next time this idiot wants to rant and rave about a headhunting no talent with a coach who should be ashamed of how his team performs, remember these words.

If the man himself wants to discuss any of this, the webmaster has my email address. Heck, I may even end up fighting him myself.

• shaundre93 - Oct 24, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Your name makes any opinion you have null. There’s just never no way to rationalize having this player in the league. This has nothing to do with Milbury, and really shouldn’t have anything to do with the bruins. This is a league wide issue, and I have as much an issue with the sabres as Scott. I don’t think Scott belongs in the league, but I also don’t believe he desires to hurt. The fact of the matter is, he is not skilled enough to deliver clean hits. He can barely skate. Also, we didn’t see this from Scott before buffalo. Between the kessel incident, this hit, kaletas antics, its quite clear that the sabres are simply the scum of the NHL. No respect. No desire to win. They WANT to finish last, so they figured they’d just have a gong show all season to try to fill the stands. Its pathetic, and something needs to be done. And its not just Scott. There are a number of questionable players on their team, and apparently a coach who encourages their antics. I would bench my best players, and call up AHL tough guys to play against the sabres from now on. I mean, you’ll still beat them, they’re terrible. It was obvious watching the game that many vets (Stafford, erhoff, vanek) are totally disinterested. This organization needs to be gutted

• slysipops - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:15 AM

time to put away mom’s computer and get out your crayons and coloring books. make her a nice picture for the fridge door

21. pjdigler - Oct 24, 2013 at 4:29 PM

everybody settle down matt Cooke is gonna have a nice sit down with Mr Scott problem solved then……. he is gonna go feed Mr savard his jello and close his blinds to keep the light out of his room win win situation…

22. hsnepsts - Oct 24, 2013 at 6:14 PM

The hit was late. The hit was high. The puck wasnt on his stick. He targetted the head. He has no previous suspension history.

Of course Im talking about Keith on Sedin, but I could be talking about Scott o Eriksson as well.

Keith got 5 games. That’s Shanahan’s precedent. If Scott gets more, then we’re penalizing a guy because of the name on his sweater.

23. slysipops - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:10 AM

this guy, with his lack of any talent, being on the ice at that point of the game speaks for itself ! maybe the coaches need to be suspended in cases like this too ?

24. rabidbillsfan - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Did you Boston homeboys watch tonights Bruins-Sharks match-up? That Chara hit was sooooo Legit, right? It’s becuase he’s 6’9″ though, I know. Oh, and look, not even a hearing scheduled! There ya go NHL, the key to avoiding player suspensions while injuring others, train your star players to do it! Hey Claude, was he doing his Job? I mean, his job is to be an imposing force on the blueline right? The Blueline that the Hawks owned in the SCF?

Next steps for the Oilers after Eakins