Oct 24, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
Thursday was a good news, bad news sort of day in Toronto.
On the good, Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle announced rookie d-man Morgan Rielly would stick with the club for the season, rather than be dispatched back to WHL Moose Jaw.
“He’s earned the opportunity to be part of our group,” Carlyle explained, as per TSN.
Rielly, 19, has appeared in eight games for the Leafs this year, notching four assists while averaging over 18 minutes per night. Though he’s posted a minus-3 rating and has been a healthy scratch, Rielly has shown enough to stick with Toronto for the duration of the 2013-14 campaign.
So that’s the good.
The bad is that All-Star forward Joffrey Lupul, who hobbled off the ice during Thursday’s practice, didn’t return. Lupul took a puck off the foot (Carlyle appeared perturbed Lupul wasn’t wearing a shot blocker on his skates) and was headed for X-rays, according to TSN’s Jonas Siegel.
Lupul, 30, currently sits second on the team in scoring with six goals and 10 points in 10 games. But, as has often been the case with Lupul, injury threatens to derail a successful campaign — last year he missed extensive time with a concussion and broken forearm; the year prior, he was sidelined with a separated shoulder.
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 4
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 9
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 36
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)