Oct 24, 2013, 12:10 PM EST
Thursday was a good news, bad news sort of day in Toronto.
On the good, Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle announced rookie d-man Morgan Rielly would stick with the club for the season, rather than be dispatched back to WHL Moose Jaw.
“He’s earned the opportunity to be part of our group,” Carlyle explained, as per TSN.
Rielly, 19, has appeared in eight games for the Leafs this year, notching four assists while averaging over 18 minutes per night. Though he’s posted a minus-3 rating and has been a healthy scratch, Rielly has shown enough to stick with Toronto for the duration of the 2013-14 campaign.
So that’s the good.
The bad is that All-Star forward Joffrey Lupul, who hobbled off the ice during Thursday’s practice, didn’t return. Lupul took a puck off the foot (Carlyle appeared perturbed Lupul wasn’t wearing a shot blocker on his skates) and was headed for X-rays, according to TSN’s Jonas Siegel.
Lupul, 30, currently sits second on the team in scoring with six goals and 10 points in 10 games. But, as has often been the case with Lupul, injury threatens to derail a successful campaign — last year he missed extensive time with a concussion and broken forearm; the year prior, he was sidelined with a separated shoulder.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)