Oct 24, 2013, 12:10 PM EST
Thursday was a good news, bad news sort of day in Toronto.
On the good, Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle announced rookie d-man Morgan Rielly would stick with the club for the season, rather than be dispatched back to WHL Moose Jaw.
“He’s earned the opportunity to be part of our group,” Carlyle explained, as per TSN.
Rielly, 19, has appeared in eight games for the Leafs this year, notching four assists while averaging over 18 minutes per night. Though he’s posted a minus-3 rating and has been a healthy scratch, Rielly has shown enough to stick with Toronto for the duration of the 2013-14 campaign.
So that’s the good.
The bad is that All-Star forward Joffrey Lupul, who hobbled off the ice during Thursday’s practice, didn’t return. Lupul took a puck off the foot (Carlyle appeared perturbed Lupul wasn’t wearing a shot blocker on his skates) and was headed for X-rays, according to TSN’s Jonas Siegel.
Lupul, 30, currently sits second on the team in scoring with six goals and 10 points in 10 games. But, as has often been the case with Lupul, injury threatens to derail a successful campaign — last year he missed extensive time with a concussion and broken forearm; the year prior, he was sidelined with a separated shoulder.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)