Oct 24, 2013, 10:07 AM EDT
According to a report from Fox 6 in Milwaukee, the Nashville Predators have called up goalie Magnus Hellberg. While he’s got one of the best current names in hockey, the big question now is: Who is hurt for the Preds?
It’s unclear to as why Hellberg, a 2011 second round draft pick, is coming to Nashville, but one has to wonder if it has to do with goaltender Pekka Rinne and his hip. Rinne underwent a hip arthroscopy in the offseason, and didn’t play a full game game until the regular season started almost three weeks ago.
Backup goalie Carter Hutton practiced yesterday and was victorious on Sunday in Winnipeg. Rinne was a hard-luck loser against Minnesota on Tuesday night stopping 27 of 28 shots in a 2-0 Wild win.
Rinne signed a seven-year, $49 million extension in November 2011 to stay in Nashville as their franchise goaltender.
Update (10:21 a.m. ET): Rinne’s agent, Jay Grossman, shared this via Twitter:
Cue up the foreboding music, Preds fans.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)