Oct 24, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
Olli Maatta is sticking in Pittsburgh.
On Thursday, the Penguins announced they’d be keeping their rookie defenseman for the remainder of the season, rather than send him back to his OHL junior club in London.
“Based on his play, we believe this is the best decision for Olli and the Penguins,” Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero staid in a statement. “We want to thank Mark and Dale Hunter and the London Knights for their patience and understanding.”
Maatta, 19, played his ninth game of the season on Tuesday against Colorado, meaning Pittsburgh had reached the limit of “free” games before the first year of Maatta’s entry-level contract kicked in. There was some debate (albeit minor) about sending Maata back to junior and salvaging a year on his ELC — especially since the Pens would have seven NHL defensemen on the active roster once Kris Letang returns.
But there was little denying Matta his spot on the team. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound rearguard has certainly done enough to stick around — he has three points through nine games, averaging nearly 15 minutes per, and has been thriving with Letang sidelined due to injury.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)