Oct 24, 2013, 10:36 AM EST
Olli Maatta is sticking in Pittsburgh.
On Thursday, the Penguins announced they’d be keeping their rookie defenseman for the remainder of the season, rather than send him back to his OHL junior club in London.
“Based on his play, we believe this is the best decision for Olli and the Penguins,” Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero staid in a statement. “We want to thank Mark and Dale Hunter and the London Knights for their patience and understanding.”
Maatta, 19, played his ninth game of the season on Tuesday against Colorado, meaning Pittsburgh had reached the limit of “free” games before the first year of Maatta’s entry-level contract kicked in. There was some debate (albeit minor) about sending Maata back to junior and salvaging a year on his ELC — especially since the Pens would have seven NHL defensemen on the active roster once Kris Letang returns.
But there was little denying Matta his spot on the team. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound rearguard has certainly done enough to stick around — he has three points through nine games, averaging nearly 15 minutes per, and has been thriving with Letang sidelined due to injury.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)