Oct 24, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT
The financial gulf between Pekka Rinne ($7 million per year) and Carter Hutton (league minimum) is as gigantic as the difference in their NHL experience, but one must give credit where it’s due: Hutton’s making a good first impression in Nashville.
On the same day that the Predators learned that Rinne would miss at least a month with an infection in his surgically repaired hip, Hutton stopped 34 out of 36 shots in a 3-2 OT win against the Winnipeg Jets.
When you combine his relief work against the St. Louis Blues and two games against the Jets, it’s clear that Hutton, 27, is making the most of his opportunities. The Canadian netminder has stopped 93 out of 97 shots, giving him a 2-0-0 record with a .959 save percentage and 1.37 GAA.
That’s a tiny sample size – and it’s not like he came into this season with much, as he had just one token start in 2013 – yet Hutton can’t really change that. He can only stop pucks behind a strong Nashville defense, and in that regard, so far so good.
It sounds like Nashville will stick with Hutton and Magnus Hellberg – at least for now – and many rave about Hellberg’s potential, but Hutton seems determined to make it an interesting (and unpredictable) goalie battle.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)