Oct 24, 2013, 11:04 PM EST
The financial gulf between Pekka Rinne ($7 million per year) and Carter Hutton (league minimum) is as gigantic as the difference in their NHL experience, but one must give credit where it’s due: Hutton’s making a good first impression in Nashville.
On the same day that the Predators learned that Rinne would miss at least a month with an infection in his surgically repaired hip, Hutton stopped 34 out of 36 shots in a 3-2 OT win against the Winnipeg Jets.
When you combine his relief work against the St. Louis Blues and two games against the Jets, it’s clear that Hutton, 27, is making the most of his opportunities. The Canadian netminder has stopped 93 out of 97 shots, giving him a 2-0-0 record with a .959 save percentage and 1.37 GAA.
That’s a tiny sample size – and it’s not like he came into this season with much, as he had just one token start in 2013 – yet Hutton can’t really change that. He can only stop pucks behind a strong Nashville defense, and in that regard, so far so good.
It sounds like Nashville will stick with Hutton and Magnus Hellberg – at least for now – and many rave about Hellberg’s potential, but Hutton seems determined to make it an interesting (and unpredictable) goalie battle.
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 77
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 6
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 58
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (78)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (58)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)