Oct 24, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT
The financial gulf between Pekka Rinne ($7 million per year) and Carter Hutton (league minimum) is as gigantic as the difference in their NHL experience, but one must give credit where it’s due: Hutton’s making a good first impression in Nashville.
On the same day that the Predators learned that Rinne would miss at least a month with an infection in his surgically repaired hip, Hutton stopped 34 out of 36 shots in a 3-2 OT win against the Winnipeg Jets.
When you combine his relief work against the St. Louis Blues and two games against the Jets, it’s clear that Hutton, 27, is making the most of his opportunities. The Canadian netminder has stopped 93 out of 97 shots, giving him a 2-0-0 record with a .959 save percentage and 1.37 GAA.
That’s a tiny sample size – and it’s not like he came into this season with much, as he had just one token start in 2013 – yet Hutton can’t really change that. He can only stop pucks behind a strong Nashville defense, and in that regard, so far so good.
It sounds like Nashville will stick with Hutton and Magnus Hellberg – at least for now – and many rave about Hellberg’s potential, but Hutton seems determined to make it an interesting (and unpredictable) goalie battle.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 23
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)