Oct 24, 2013, 11:28 AM EST
The Predators suffered a major injury blow on Thursday, announcing that goalie Pekka Rinne would be lost for a minimum of four weeks with a spontaneous bacterial infection in his surgically repaired hip.
Rinne, who turns 31 in November, underwent hip arthroscopy during the offseason, a major procedure that sidelined him for nearly four months. The recovery dipped into training camp and the exhibition season, though the Finnish netminder insisted he’d be “be 100 percent on opening night.”
While he was ready to play on opening night, he was hardly 100 percent, getting yanked after allowing three goals on six shots to St. Louis.
Rinne’s been good since, posting a 4-4-1 record with a .917 save percentage and 2.31 GAA, but there now have to be major concerns within the Nashville organization about the health of his hip, especially since he’s only in year two of a seven-year, $49 million contract extension.
The Preds may also have to adjust how they handle Rinne’s workload moving forward.
In 2011-12, he set league highs in games (73), shots faced (2,153) and finished second in minutes played (4,168). In 2013, he appeared in 43 of Nashville’s 48 games and appeared to wear down as the season progressed.
One problem with limiting Rinne’s minutes, though, is the lack of experience behind him. The No. 1 duties in Nashville now fall to Carter Hutton, a 27-year-old ex-Chicago farmhand with exactly three games of NHL experience. Behind Hutton is the recently-recalled Magnus Hellberg, who has never played in the NHL and has just 39 AHL games under his belt.
It’s possible the Preds could go looking for short-term, stopgap goalie help in the interim. Expect to hear Jose Theodore’s and Johan Hedberg’s names come up as potential replacements.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 24
- Mike Richards clears waivers 29
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 54
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)