Oct 24, 2013, 9:55 PM EST
Fair or not, many will argue that Roberto Luongo is getting the last laugh – or at least the early advantage – over Cory Schneider. That narrative certainly carried through Thursday, as Luongo’s Canucks beat Schneider’s Devils 3-2 via a shootout.
So, yes, certain troublemakers will highlight “Luongo 2, Schneider 0.”
Chances are, the Devils are more concerned with overall team records:
New Jersey: 1-5-4
Three of those four beyond-regulation losses came via shootouts for the Devils. While New Jersey can look at its local rivals the New York Rangers struggling, the Devils aren’t getting dominated, they’re just falling short.
For some, that’s a reason for optimism. The flip side is that others might wonder if this is the best that can be expected of the Devils, while their hated rivals might turn things around once they get their footing.
Either way, they’ll need to wait a season to give Schneider another chance to best Luongo. Bobby Lou stopped 28 of 30 Devils shots while Schneider allowed two goals on 20 Canucks attempts.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)