Oct 24, 2013, 9:11 AM EDT
When Washington Capitals forward Mike Green was benched against the Winnipeg Jets on Tuesday night, it raised more than a few eyebrows. After all, Green is one of their top blue liners and it was a close game that eventually went to a shootout.
Green wants everyone to know there was a good reason for him being sat down as Katie Carrera of The Washington Post shares.
“I honestly had a bad day, nothing was working for me. I wasn’t even upset. I just had nothing,” Green said in Edmonton a day later. “My legs wouldn’t go, my hands, my vision, everything was off, the puck was bobbling. It was just one of those nights, and I didn’t feel that anything I was going to do was going to be beneficial.”
That’s a brutally honest self-assessment and almost refreshing to see a player own up to their poor play. Caps coach Adam Oates said he expects Green to be his normal self when they take on the Oilers on Thursday night.
The team will need Green to get back to normal, however, if they’re going to improve upon their 4-5-0 record.
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)