Oct 24, 2013, 9:11 AM EDT
When Washington Capitals forward Mike Green was benched against the Winnipeg Jets on Tuesday night, it raised more than a few eyebrows. After all, Green is one of their top blue liners and it was a close game that eventually went to a shootout.
Green wants everyone to know there was a good reason for him being sat down as Katie Carrera of The Washington Post shares.
“I honestly had a bad day, nothing was working for me. I wasn’t even upset. I just had nothing,” Green said in Edmonton a day later. “My legs wouldn’t go, my hands, my vision, everything was off, the puck was bobbling. It was just one of those nights, and I didn’t feel that anything I was going to do was going to be beneficial.”
That’s a brutally honest self-assessment and almost refreshing to see a player own up to their poor play. Caps coach Adam Oates said he expects Green to be his normal self when they take on the Oilers on Thursday night.
The team will need Green to get back to normal, however, if they’re going to improve upon their 4-5-0 record.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)