Oct 24, 2013, 9:11 AM EDT
When Washington Capitals forward Mike Green was benched against the Winnipeg Jets on Tuesday night, it raised more than a few eyebrows. After all, Green is one of their top blue liners and it was a close game that eventually went to a shootout.
Green wants everyone to know there was a good reason for him being sat down as Katie Carrera of The Washington Post shares.
“I honestly had a bad day, nothing was working for me. I wasn’t even upset. I just had nothing,” Green said in Edmonton a day later. “My legs wouldn’t go, my hands, my vision, everything was off, the puck was bobbling. It was just one of those nights, and I didn’t feel that anything I was going to do was going to be beneficial.”
That’s a brutally honest self-assessment and almost refreshing to see a player own up to their poor play. Caps coach Adam Oates said he expects Green to be his normal self when they take on the Oilers on Thursday night.
The team will need Green to get back to normal, however, if they’re going to improve upon their 4-5-0 record.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)