Oct 24, 2013, 9:11 AM EDT
When Washington Capitals forward Mike Green was benched against the Winnipeg Jets on Tuesday night, it raised more than a few eyebrows. After all, Green is one of their top blue liners and it was a close game that eventually went to a shootout.
Green wants everyone to know there was a good reason for him being sat down as Katie Carrera of The Washington Post shares.
“I honestly had a bad day, nothing was working for me. I wasn’t even upset. I just had nothing,” Green said in Edmonton a day later. “My legs wouldn’t go, my hands, my vision, everything was off, the puck was bobbling. It was just one of those nights, and I didn’t feel that anything I was going to do was going to be beneficial.”
That’s a brutally honest self-assessment and almost refreshing to see a player own up to their poor play. Caps coach Adam Oates said he expects Green to be his normal self when they take on the Oilers on Thursday night.
The team will need Green to get back to normal, however, if they’re going to improve upon their 4-5-0 record.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)