Oct 24, 2013, 9:11 AM EST
When Washington Capitals forward Mike Green was benched against the Winnipeg Jets on Tuesday night, it raised more than a few eyebrows. After all, Green is one of their top blue liners and it was a close game that eventually went to a shootout.
Green wants everyone to know there was a good reason for him being sat down as Katie Carrera of The Washington Post shares.
“I honestly had a bad day, nothing was working for me. I wasn’t even upset. I just had nothing,” Green said in Edmonton a day later. “My legs wouldn’t go, my hands, my vision, everything was off, the puck was bobbling. It was just one of those nights, and I didn’t feel that anything I was going to do was going to be beneficial.”
That’s a brutally honest self-assessment and almost refreshing to see a player own up to their poor play. Caps coach Adam Oates said he expects Green to be his normal self when they take on the Oilers on Thursday night.
The team will need Green to get back to normal, however, if they’re going to improve upon their 4-5-0 record.
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 17
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 68
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Patrick Kane (fractured clavicle) out 12 weeks after surgery 41
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (71)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)