Oct 24, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
To put things mildly, things haven’t been going well for the Philadelphia Flyers. At least they shouldn’t feel lonely, as they hosted – and defeated – an equally grim* New York Rangers team 2-1 on Thursday.
This marks the Flyers’ second win of the season, as both teams have nearly identical records (Philly’s 2-7-0 while New York is 2-6-0).
For the Rangers, it’s pretty obvious: they just have one more road game in their staggering nine-game opening trip before they can get their feet under them a bit at Madison Square Garden. The Flyers have had it easier, as six of their first nine have been in Philadelphia. (At least Cam Talbot looked competent, stopping 25 out of 27 shots.)
Also: Brad Richards is playing well.
The bad news for the Flyers is that they aren’t even scoring in bunches when they win, as their two victories came at 2-1.
Oddly enough, Steve Mason‘s strong play has been obscured by Philly’s awful scoring. Despite that 2-5-0 record, Mason’s .930 save percentage is sterling.
So, sure, you have to squint to find positives … although beating the Rangers is an obvious plus for Flyers fans.
* – The bleak outlooks are comparable unless you really want to split hairs of sadness.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 5
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)