Oct 24, 2013, 10:08 PM EST
To put things mildly, things haven’t been going well for the Philadelphia Flyers. At least they shouldn’t feel lonely, as they hosted – and defeated – an equally grim* New York Rangers team 2-1 on Thursday.
This marks the Flyers’ second win of the season, as both teams have nearly identical records (Philly’s 2-7-0 while New York is 2-6-0).
For the Rangers, it’s pretty obvious: they just have one more road game in their staggering nine-game opening trip before they can get their feet under them a bit at Madison Square Garden. The Flyers have had it easier, as six of their first nine have been in Philadelphia. (At least Cam Talbot looked competent, stopping 25 out of 27 shots.)
Also: Brad Richards is playing well.
The bad news for the Flyers is that they aren’t even scoring in bunches when they win, as their two victories came at 2-1.
Oddly enough, Steve Mason‘s strong play has been obscured by Philly’s awful scoring. Despite that 2-5-0 record, Mason’s .930 save percentage is sterling.
So, sure, you have to squint to find positives … although beating the Rangers is an obvious plus for Flyers fans.
* – The bleak outlooks are comparable unless you really want to split hairs of sadness.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 2
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 14
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 46
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)