Oct 24, 2013, 10:08 PM EDT
To put things mildly, things haven’t been going well for the Philadelphia Flyers. At least they shouldn’t feel lonely, as they hosted – and defeated – an equally grim* New York Rangers team 2-1 on Thursday.
This marks the Flyers’ second win of the season, as both teams have nearly identical records (Philly’s 2-7-0 while New York is 2-6-0).
For the Rangers, it’s pretty obvious: they just have one more road game in their staggering nine-game opening trip before they can get their feet under them a bit at Madison Square Garden. The Flyers have had it easier, as six of their first nine have been in Philadelphia. (At least Cam Talbot looked competent, stopping 25 out of 27 shots.)
Also: Brad Richards is playing well.
The bad news for the Flyers is that they aren’t even scoring in bunches when they win, as their two victories came at 2-1.
Oddly enough, Steve Mason‘s strong play has been obscured by Philly’s awful scoring. Despite that 2-5-0 record, Mason’s .930 save percentage is sterling.
So, sure, you have to squint to find positives … although beating the Rangers is an obvious plus for Flyers fans.
* – The bleak outlooks are comparable unless you really want to split hairs of sadness.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (65)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)