Oct 24, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
Tim Thomas‘ latest injury isn’t cause for major concern.
That was the word out of Florida on Thursday as Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen said the club doesn’t expect Thomas, 39, to miss much time with his second lower-body injury of the year.
“We’re confident that he’s not going to be [out] long-term. He’s a quick healer,” Dineen told the Florida Sun-Sentinel. “Unfortunate, but the short-term situation is we’ll give [Scott Clemmensen] a call, and goaltending depth is becoming a factor in our season already.”
The Panthers put Thomas on injured reserve Wednesday with a leg injury, roughly one week after he returned from a groin injury that cost him four games.
The former Conn Smythe and Vezina winner suffered his latest setback during a 3-2 shootout loss to Chicago on Tuesday, exiting the contest with three minutes remaining in regulation.
Because of Florida’s schedule — the Panthers play Buffalo on Friday, Tampa Bay on Sunday, then have four days off — it’s possible Thomas will only miss a pair of games before getting activated off IR.
After Sunday’s game against the Bolts, Florida doesn’t play again until Friday, Nov. 1 against St. Louis. So there’s a chance Thomas will be activated in time for rematch against the Blues, who whipped Florida 7-0 earlier this season.
On the year, Thomas has posted a 3.11 GAA with a .905 save percentage, but those numbers are skewed thanks to a two-game stretch in which he allowed five goals on 28 shots the blowout loss to St. Louis, then followed it by allowing two goals on five shots against Philly before getting yanked due to the aforementioned groin injury.
Over his last three games, Thomas has actually played quite well — he stopped 37 of 40 in the loss to Boston, 30 of 31 in a shootout win over Minnesota and 25 of 27 against Chicago.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 4
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)