Oct 24, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
The process of becoming a regular NHLer can be an up-and-down experience for many young players. Calgary’s Sven Baertschi is a good example of that.
You may recall in September when Baertschi was called out by the Flames’ head of hockey operations, Brian Burke, for being too focused on offense and not dedicated enough to other areas of the ice.
“There’s three zones on the ice, Burke said, “and I don’t see that he’s learned to play and compete in two of them.”
To the 21-year-old’s credit, he responded nicely to Burke’s criticisms, his play early this season drawing praise from head coach Bob Hartley.
Unfortunately, Tuesday’s 4-2 loss to the Coyotes marked another down point for the Swiss winger, and as a result he’ll be a healthy scratch tonight in Dallas.
Baertschi (1G, 3A) wasn’t surprised when he learned he’d be watching from the press box against the Stars. After all, he barely saw the ice in the third period of the Phoenix game. “Kind of saw it coming,” he said, per Sportsnet’s Roger Millions.
The Flames have dropped three of four since their surprising 3-0-2 start. Tonight’s contest is the last of their five-game road trip. They host Washington Saturday.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)