Oct 24, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
The process of becoming a regular NHLer can be an up-and-down experience for many young players. Calgary’s Sven Baertschi is a good example of that.
You may recall in September when Baertschi was called out by the Flames’ head of hockey operations, Brian Burke, for being too focused on offense and not dedicated enough to other areas of the ice.
“There’s three zones on the ice, Burke said, “and I don’t see that he’s learned to play and compete in two of them.”
To the 21-year-old’s credit, he responded nicely to Burke’s criticisms, his play early this season drawing praise from head coach Bob Hartley.
Unfortunately, Tuesday’s 4-2 loss to the Coyotes marked another down point for the Swiss winger, and as a result he’ll be a healthy scratch tonight in Dallas.
Baertschi (1G, 3A) wasn’t surprised when he learned he’d be watching from the press box against the Stars. After all, he barely saw the ice in the third period of the Phoenix game. “Kind of saw it coming,” he said, per Sportsnet’s Roger Millions.
The Flames have dropped three of four since their surprising 3-0-2 start. Tonight’s contest is the last of their five-game road trip. They host Washington Saturday.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)