Oct 24, 2013, 3:03 PM EST
The process of becoming a regular NHLer can be an up-and-down experience for many young players. Calgary’s Sven Baertschi is a good example of that.
You may recall in September when Baertschi was called out by the Flames’ head of hockey operations, Brian Burke, for being too focused on offense and not dedicated enough to other areas of the ice.
“There’s three zones on the ice, Burke said, “and I don’t see that he’s learned to play and compete in two of them.”
To the 21-year-old’s credit, he responded nicely to Burke’s criticisms, his play early this season drawing praise from head coach Bob Hartley.
Unfortunately, Tuesday’s 4-2 loss to the Coyotes marked another down point for the Swiss winger, and as a result he’ll be a healthy scratch tonight in Dallas.
Baertschi (1G, 3A) wasn’t surprised when he learned he’d be watching from the press box against the Stars. After all, he barely saw the ice in the third period of the Phoenix game. “Kind of saw it coming,” he said, per Sportsnet’s Roger Millions.
The Flames have dropped three of four since their surprising 3-0-2 start. Tonight’s contest is the last of their five-game road trip. They host Washington Saturday.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)