Oct 24, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
The process of becoming a regular NHLer can be an up-and-down experience for many young players. Calgary’s Sven Baertschi is a good example of that.
You may recall in September when Baertschi was called out by the Flames’ head of hockey operations, Brian Burke, for being too focused on offense and not dedicated enough to other areas of the ice.
“There’s three zones on the ice, Burke said, “and I don’t see that he’s learned to play and compete in two of them.”
To the 21-year-old’s credit, he responded nicely to Burke’s criticisms, his play early this season drawing praise from head coach Bob Hartley.
Unfortunately, Tuesday’s 4-2 loss to the Coyotes marked another down point for the Swiss winger, and as a result he’ll be a healthy scratch tonight in Dallas.
Baertschi (1G, 3A) wasn’t surprised when he learned he’d be watching from the press box against the Stars. After all, he barely saw the ice in the third period of the Phoenix game. “Kind of saw it coming,” he said, per Sportsnet’s Roger Millions.
The Flames have dropped three of four since their surprising 3-0-2 start. Tonight’s contest is the last of their five-game road trip. They host Washington Saturday.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 31
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 40
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 18
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (44)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)