Oct 24, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
Even after seeing the replay, Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle remains in partial disbelief at what happened last week in St. Louis when an illegal hit from behind left him unconscious and, moments later, on a stretcher leaving the ice for the hospital.
“I wanted to see [the replay] right away … I certainly wanted to find out how it happened,” Boyle said today in Boston, per CSN Bay Area. “I’ve been in this league for a long time, and a big reason is because I don’t put myself in those types of situations, where I’m susceptible to those kinds of hits. That’s why I wanted to see it. I still have a hard time believing that it actually happened.”
As for the guy who hit him, Blues forward Maxim Lapierre, Boyle didn’t have much to say: “He left a message. I think it’s been documented that I didn’t take the call. I’ll leave it at that for now.”
It’s not clear when Boyle will be back in action. He won’t play tonight against the Bruins after rejoining his teammates yesterday and skating today.
“Still kind of waiting on more results from the doctors, and more feedback on what they saw,” Boyle said, noting he hasn’t officially been told he’s got a concussion.
“I know what you guys know. I got knocked out, and it’s just a matter of making sure that I have no symptoms and I’m okay going forward in order to get back in the lineup.”
After the Bruins game, the Sharks play Saturday in Montreal and Sunday in Ottawa.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)