Oct 24, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
A curious development from this season is all the punches being thrown in Tampa Bay.
The Lightning lead the NHL with 10 fights through their first eight games and, according to defenseman Radko Gudas (who leads the team in scraps, with three), it’s all part of establishing identity.
“It’s what we’re trying to build here,” Gudas told the Tampa Bay Times. “We don’t like to be pushed around, and we don’t like when some guys think they can lay out our top guys and not pay for it.”
As for head coach Jon Cooper? He’s OK with the fights as well, lauding Gudas for taking on Boston’s Jarome Iginla during a 5-0 drubbing by the Bruins on Saturday.
“I have zero problem with that,” Cooper said. “That’s two tough guys getting in each other’s kitchen trying to stick up for their team and themselves.
“That’s a big part of our makeup, and will continue to be in the future.”
All of this is very interesting given what Tampa Bay GM Steve Yzerman said in early October. Yzerman turned heads by speaking out against fighting, suggesting players should get game misconducts for dropping the mitts.
“We penalize and suspend players for making contact with the head while checking, in an effort to reduce head injuries, yet we still allow fighting,” Yzerman explained. “We’re stuck in the middle and need to decide what kind of sport do we want to be.
“Either anything goes and we accept the consequences, or take the next step and eliminate fighting.”
When asked about how those ideas mesh with his current club and Cooper’s coaching philosophy, Yzerman was blunt.
“I just want to win games,” he told the Times. “I don’t tell the coach how to coach the team. We’re not going to tell players to fight or don’t fight.
“I just want them to play good hockey.”
Jul 2, 2015, 8:56 AM EDT
He was playing with the Winnipeg Jets before heading to Croatia.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:03 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 AM EDT
Some interesting players still need deals.
Jul 1, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT
All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
Quite the steal.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT
Adding some veteran help.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:10 PM EDT
“Young guns” no more?
Jul 1, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $7.5 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
Reunited and it feels pretty good.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
The contract pays the 25-year-old $600,000.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:36 PM EDT
Had 22 goals for the Ducks in 2014-15.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:34 PM EDT
It’s reportedly two-years, $3 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Don Sweeney keeps making moves.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
The Rangers were a banged-up group in the playoffs.
Jul 1, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
Was the first netminder taken at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 1, 2015, 5:34 PM EDT
Fresh off winning the Stanley Cup with Chicago.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT
“We are here to build a team that is capable of winning a Stanley Cup. There are no shortcuts to go around doing that.”
Jul 1, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
23-year-old had 18 points in 29 games last year.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Moves on from Washington, the team that drafted him in 2004.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT
Penguins GM considers his new winger in the same class as Alex Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 15
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 28
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)