Oct 24, 2013, 1:56 PM EST
“Regrettably, Mr. Kaleta stands out for his repeated violations of — and seeming indifference to — the Playing Rules put in place to protect other Players, and, particularly, other Players’ heads,” Bettman explained in a statement ruling. “Specifically, Mr. Kaleta has committed a series of other serious, head-related Playing Rule violations in each of the four most recent prior seasons.”
For Bettman’s complete ruling, click here
Kaleta, 27, announced he’d be appealing the ban on Oct. 16 and his hearing with Bettman took place this past Monday.
According to the ruling, Kaleta was appealing on the grounds that NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan “improperly reviewed evidence consisting of prior on-ice incidents” involving Kaleta, “improperly considered Supplementary Discipline fines” assessed against Kaleta and, finally, that Shanahan incorrectly used incidents with James Wisniewski and Andy Sutton as “the most appropriate [disciplinary] comparables.”
It’s worth noting that, despite his lengthy history with the Department of Player Safety, Kaleta had only been suspended once within the last 18 months prior to the Johnson hit, a five-gamer for boarding Rangers forward Brad Richards in March of 2013.
Kaleta’s previous suspensions (four games for headbutting, two games for boarding) happened more than 18 months ago.
As for the next step?
Kaleta can still continue with the appeal process. He has seven days to file through a neutral discipline arbitrator, which would be a landmark decision as no player has opted to go that route since the implementation of the NHL’s new collective bargaining agreement.
According to the CBA, the neutral arbitrator’s decision “shall be final and binding in all respects and not subject to review.”
Two previous appeals — by Raffi Torres and Paul Bissonnette — were heard by Bettman and resulted in reduced suspensions. Torres had his original 25-game ban reduced to 21 games, while Bissonnette had his original 10-game suspension reduced to three.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)