Oct 24, 2013, 1:20 AM EDT
After 17 seasons with the Ottawa Senators, Daniel Alfredsson faced his old team for the first time as a member of the Detroit Red Wings.
But it was the Senators, and his many former teammates, who looked the more motivated in a 6-1 victory for Ottawa.
For the 40-year-old Alfredsson, he recorded a minor penalty, two hits and two shots but no points. Alfredsson ended his long and sometimes fruitful tenure in Ottawa this summer, when he signed with the Red Wings as an unrestricted free agent.
“It was a different game, the way it turned out,” Alfredsson told USA Today after the game.
“It didn’t feel too crazy. The warm-up was what it was and once the game got going, you’re really into it. The game didn’t turn into a good battle.
“It’s a game,” he said. “It’s disappointing for us to lose the way we did at home. I would have loved to win this one, no question, but we played a good game against San Jose and now we took a step back.”
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Randy Carlyle is making some changes to the way Toronto defends.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Currently there are 16 teams in the East and 14 in the West.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
“I think it’s been terribly mishandled by the player and the agent.”
Sep 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Kurt Overhardt has a warning for the frustrated Blue Jackets management.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
“We know he has a great shot and that’s a bonus for him.”
Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
But Peter Karmanos wants to retain control of the team.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
“It’s nice having a little more freedom, in that regard, especially for the creativity that’s on our team,” says Beau Bennett.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
“I think what we’re going to do as a team will be right up his alley.”
Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
He’ll get tougher assignments with Kimmo Timonen sidelined indefinitely.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Colorado is counting on the duo to be very effective this season.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan thinks he can play, at least.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
“But sometimes you have to lose what you have to realize what you had.”
Sep 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Players nursing bumps and bruises as camps wrap.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
“In a perfect world, it would be three.”
Sep 21, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
“He’s thinking usually two or three plays ahead.”
Sep 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT
“God, defense was just so much fun though.”
Sep 21, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
The team’s still trying to determine if surgery is necessary.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
He won’t play in either of Ottawa’s Monday exhibitions games.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Seasoning in the AHL should serve the 20-year-old well.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 3
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 18
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)