Oct 24, 2013, 1:20 AM EDT
After 17 seasons with the Ottawa Senators, Daniel Alfredsson faced his old team for the first time as a member of the Detroit Red Wings.
But it was the Senators, and his many former teammates, who looked the more motivated in a 6-1 victory for Ottawa.
For the 40-year-old Alfredsson, he recorded a minor penalty, two hits and two shots but no points. Alfredsson ended his long and sometimes fruitful tenure in Ottawa this summer, when he signed with the Red Wings as an unrestricted free agent.
“It was a different game, the way it turned out,” Alfredsson told USA Today after the game.
“It didn’t feel too crazy. The warm-up was what it was and once the game got going, you’re really into it. The game didn’t turn into a good battle.
“It’s a game,” he said. “It’s disappointing for us to lose the way we did at home. I would have loved to win this one, no question, but we played a good game against San Jose and now we took a step back.”
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)