Oct 23, 2013, 2:41 PM EST
The Minnesota Wild got some tough news on the health of defenseman Jonas Brodin after he was struck in the face by a puck on Tuesday night against Nashville.
Brodin suffered a broken cheekbone and is out indefinitely, the club announced on Wednesday.
“It was gruesome to watch,” Wild head coach Mike Yeo told the team website. “It’s disappointing.”
The 20-year-old rearguard left last night’s contest and didn’t return after this:
Widely believed to be a Calder Trophy snub a year ago (after scoring 11 points and averaging 23 minutes a game), Brodin’s sophomore campaign was off to a tremendous start. He had 3G-3A through his first 10 games — leading all Wild defensemen in scoring — and was again averaging over 23 minutes per night.
Minnesota will insert Nate Prosser into the lineup with Brodin gone. As for a timetable for the Swedish defenseman, the Wild said they hope to have a better idea by Thursday.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 43
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (44)