Oct 23, 2013, 2:41 PM EST
The Minnesota Wild got some tough news on the health of defenseman Jonas Brodin after he was struck in the face by a puck on Tuesday night against Nashville.
Brodin suffered a broken cheekbone and is out indefinitely, the club announced on Wednesday.
“It was gruesome to watch,” Wild head coach Mike Yeo told the team website. “It’s disappointing.”
The 20-year-old rearguard left last night’s contest and didn’t return after this:
Widely believed to be a Calder Trophy snub a year ago (after scoring 11 points and averaging 23 minutes a game), Brodin’s sophomore campaign was off to a tremendous start. He had 3G-3A through his first 10 games — leading all Wild defensemen in scoring — and was again averaging over 23 minutes per night.
Minnesota will insert Nate Prosser into the lineup with Brodin gone. As for a timetable for the Swedish defenseman, the Wild said they hope to have a better idea by Thursday.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 45
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 122
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)